Pond Boss
Posted By: #1Ric Water Lettuce Control ??? - 09/23/12 02:22 AM

I have a Problem with Water Lettuce. I have been spraying it with 3 oz Aquatic Glyphosate, 1 oz 2,4-D and 1/3 oz of MSO per gallon.

What I might not be doing is totally soaking the Water Lettuce.

It appears to be growing instead of dieing out. Any suggestion???

Posted By: esshup Re: Water Lettuce Control ??? - 09/23/12 04:51 AM
Take a look here for suggested herbicides.....
Posted By: #1Ric Re: Water Lettuce Control ??? - 09/25/12 02:49 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Take a look here for suggested herbicides.....

Thanks for the Link. I saved it on my favorites. I sprayed Diquat and MSO on Sunday. This morning I am seeing some response. However it looks like it will take several treatments to get it all.

Posted By: RER Re: Water Lettuce Control ??? - 09/25/12 02:54 PM
Do GC ot Tilapia eat water lettuce?
Are you trying to eliminate it or just control it...Its pretty easy to remove physically but labor intense. it is good filtration and sunblock for the pond, down side it spreads really fast...
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Water Lettuce Control ??? - 09/25/12 05:30 PM
Tilapia will at least mine did. Mine have even eater water hyacinth.

To be honest not sure there is much of anything Tilapia will not eat (or at least attempt to), especially if it is the only option they have.

As far as controlling or eliminating either one that will have to be answered by the experts.
Posted By: #1Ric Re: Water Lettuce Control ??? - 09/30/12 04:33 PM
While I am all for Biological Control, This is a small Drainage tributary that accesses the Main River. There are Homes all around it. No way I could get a Permit to release Grass Carp or would they or Tilapia stay in my treatment area. Besides They would become Alligator feed. Diquat and MSO are working but I wish I had a Air Boat to blow all the Water Lettuce to one spot to treat.
Posted By: esshup Re: Water Lettuce Control ??? - 09/30/12 11:30 PM
Can you use a long rope with floats, corral the Water Lettuce and get it all clumped together?
Posted By: #1Ric Re: Water Lettuce Control ??? - 10/01/12 12:56 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Can you use a long rope with floats, corral the Water Lettuce and get it all clumped together?

I was actually thinking that way. I was about to make a Trawl like the ones used to open nets. But a Favorable wind did the job for me. Thanks for advice and Link. Hopefully this problem has past.

© Pond Boss Forum