Pond Boss
Posted By: jevans5050 getting rid of Mosquito Fern (Azolla)? - 03/12/11 02:24 AM
what is the best way to get rid of Mosquito Fern (Azolla)? i have a pond that is covered in this stuff. the pond has no aeration or equipment. i want to get this red stuff off the surface...do i need to use chemical warfare or can i introduce a fish that might find it good to snack on or something? please give me your recomendation. thanks

justin
I see your in california. Theres your first problem lol Jk. California does have alot of stupid regulations. Im sure someone on here will come along shortly and answer your question. While you wait look throught the archives for solutions to similar problems to get an idea of what to do. I for one have never even heard of misquito fern. good luck you will find all the answers you need on this site and for even more answer subscribe to pondboss the magazine its a great high quality mag, just got my new one yesterday..
Anyone?
Posted By: loretta Re: getting rid of Mosquito Fern (Azolla)? - 07/29/11 11:52 PM
Try this: http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/management-options/mosquito-fern/
In Texas, Diquat is usually a good option, but use caution because killing too much at one time WILL cause O2 problems. Fluridone is also a good option for smaller shallow ponds and usually don't involve near the risk of O2 depletion beacuse of how slowly it works. Fluridone also has a distinct time window so I would start your research with these two products. And as always make certain that you research and follow all labels, laws and state regulations. Especially being in California!

Grass Carp or Tilapia may provide some help but it's doubtful that they will offer control anytime soon. Especially if a majority of your pond is already covered.
I have never treated a pond with Azolla but I did see a pond with it last year so I did a little research. I'm sure there are other options out there but I just thought I'd share what was told to me..."Galleon should provide excellent control within about 30-45 days at 20-30 ppb. You can also use 3 oz Reward and ½ oz SilEnergy/gallon of water and spray for quicker knockdown" I would contact the chemical manufacturers to verify these concentrations will work for your situation before you start. Good luck
Posted By: Tewks Re: getting rid of Mosquito Fern (Azolla)? - 08/01/11 07:30 PM
This may sound odd, but I remember reading somewhere that mosquito fern is extremely intolerant to salinity. An increase of the overall salinity to 1% can be enough to completely wipe out the plant. I don't know how it would effect anything else in the water but it could be a cheap option and I doubt there's any laws or certifications needed for salting your water. Could be an interesting solution eh?
Diquat is the standard treatment for mosquito fern (Azolla), and it works within a few days. Always take care that treating this time of year may result in oxygen depletion.....as the hot water can hold very little oxygen. Chemical is not toxic to fish, but depriving them of oxygen via plant decay can be!
are there any fish in the pond? what types?
© Pond Boss Forum