Pond Boss
Posted By: Blake grass carp trap? - 01/16/11 06:01 PM
i need to trap a bunch of grass carp, anyone know where i can get a trap that will work?
Posted By: esshup Re: grass carp trap? - 01/16/11 07:34 PM
AMS sells a few!

Other than those, I don't know of a trap that will specifically target GC.
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: grass carp trap? - 01/17/11 12:58 AM
Wonder if treble-hook jug-lines, baited with brussel sprouts, would work..?????

Posted By: george1 Re: grass carp trap? - 01/17/11 02:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Blake
i need to trap a bunch of grass carp, anyone know where i can get a trap that will work?
The only thing that has worked for me are pellet flies.
As you know, grass carp are very spooky and you better land them because they will never eat another pellet. Good way to break grass carp from eating your fish food!

An accurate cast with smooth presentation of your fly is necesary.
Most fun fish on a flyrod I've ever had.
Posted By: jsand13 Re: grass carp trap? - 01/17/11 11:17 PM
I went to a pond a couple of years back were a guy used a series of nets that stretched a hundred yards or so out into the ponds. They gradualy got more narrow creating a funnel and then he had a pen built that they cornered into. Not sure if it worked or not but it might be a option. I hope I explained that were it made a little bit of sense.
Posted By: Rainman Re: grass carp trap? - 01/17/11 11:43 PM
Some fish food and a .22 works very well on removing GC. Buck shot works better!
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: grass carp trap? - 01/18/11 12:00 AM
A Sheridan 5mm Silver Streak pellet gun offers a stealthly approach with multi-shot opportunities (and probably safer), but has less margin for error.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: grass carp trap? - 01/18/11 01:19 AM
bow, 22, deerslug, hand grenade..
Posted By: MrSandman Re: grass carp trap? - 01/18/11 08:44 PM
Blake, if you ever find that grass carp trap, let me know! I've tried all the above (except the hand grenade) and more with no luck. If you have enough time to see my other posts asking for help on this topic you'll notice a lot of frustration. Grass carp, especially when old and not eating much, are really tough to remove.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: grass carp trap? - 01/18/11 09:01 PM
When they are old and not eating much what is the harm in keeping them. I would see them as a problem if eating all your pellets but if just swimming around is their daily routine then why bother them.

Just let me know.

Thanks
Posted By: MrSandman Re: grass carp trap? - 01/19/11 06:01 AM
MRHELLO, I'm not sure what motive Blake has in wanting to capture GC but in my case the problem with keeping them even when old and not eating much is this: they have denuded the entire lake of vascular plants and now the water turns green in summer. No new plant growth can take hold because as soon as any plant sprouts, they will eat it. Since there are now no plants at all, even a few GC which don't eat much will keep the pond weed free. If there are no weeds to take up the nutrients the phytoplankton will utilize the nutrients and turn the water green. Without plants the fishing suffers and my pond has had a decline in the size of bass and the number of bluegill. Yes, I admit that I over stocked the GC.
© Pond Boss Forum