Pond Boss
Posted By: Hubcap green stuff floating on pond - 11/16/10 04:57 PM
Hey guys, need help now with a real bright green film that is covering about 1/3 of my pond. My first thought is pollen but I'm not sure. We had a rain today and it didnt seem to help. Any suggestions or if you need more details or pictures please let me know.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: green stuff floating on pond - 11/16/10 05:20 PM
Pictures are a must I think, let the pros chime in.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: green stuff floating on pond - 11/16/10 05:22 PM
+1 on the photos.
Posted By: ewest Re: green stuff floating on pond - 11/16/10 09:11 PM
See if this helps

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92633#Post92633
Posted By: Hubcap Re: green stuff floating on pond - 11/18/10 12:21 AM
here are some pictures. After the rain last night it is not as bad, however it is still there. It looks like a fine green dust floating on the very top of the water.

Posted By: Bill Cody Re: green stuff floating on pond - 11/18/10 01:40 AM
Looks to me like the residual or last stages of a bluegreen algae bloom. The species would just be a guess unless it is examined with a microscope.
Posted By: ewest Re: green stuff floating on pond - 11/18/10 03:05 AM
+1
Posted By: Hubcap Re: green stuff floating on pond - 11/18/10 03:37 AM
Should I be concerned? Is there something I need to do?
Posted By: Hubcap Re: green stuff floating on pond - 11/18/10 05:29 AM
Should I be concerned? Is there something I need to do?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: green stuff floating on pond - 11/18/10 06:10 PM
Normally surface blooms (scums, films, coatings) of bluegreen algae subside as temeratures decrease which they are doing now. I would let nature take its course. Monitor the surface temperature and watch the progress of the bloom. A similar pattern will likely occur next year.
Posted By: Hubcap Re: green stuff floating on pond - 11/18/10 11:15 PM
It does look better today. Is there A cure for it if it gets out of control next year?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: green stuff floating on pond - 11/19/10 12:31 AM
Hubcap asks:" Is there A cure for it ". Excessive nutrients cause bluegreen algae surface blooms. Excess phosphorus combined often with too low of a nitrogen concentration is a common causative feature of bluegreen algae blooms. Reduce nutrient loading and bluegreens often do not form as large of populations. Use of algacides are not cures for the problem but they just reduce the amount of growth that is present. Growth often reappears as long as nutrients are too abundant. This past summer I used liquid 'Green Clean' diluted 10:1 with water and sprayed on the films and adjacent area to knock back reoccurring bluegreen films. It worked well and is a very habitat safe product. Spraying was needed several times as summer progressed. Cutrine-Plus liquid is a secondary choice, although this product contains copper.
© Pond Boss Forum