Pond Boss
Posted By: salex Old Wives Tale? - 12/16/09 12:43 AM
I read the attached thread on the Texas Fishing Forum. I would be curious to get responses from some of the Pond Boss leaders.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4029243/tires_in_pond#Post4029243

If you don't want to read the thread. It basically suggests that placing old rubber car or truck tires in ponds will eliminate or greatly reduce the "moss" issue in ponds. The premise is that there is some type of chemical reaction in the tires. Could this really be true? Any reserch to back this up?
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Old Wives Tale? - 12/16/09 01:52 AM
Never heard that one before.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Old Wives Tale? - 12/16/09 02:26 AM
Since I have seen "moss" as in filamentous algae growing all over tires I don't believe it, but who knows...
Posted By: esshup Re: Old Wives Tale? - 12/16/09 03:01 AM
Same here. I'm a disbeliever.
Posted By: ewest Re: Old Wives Tale? - 12/16/09 03:29 AM
I read the link and don't know if those guys were serious or not. I have never seen or heard of that and doubt it works. I have added tires to some lakes and they are now covered in moss (FA) first then DW.
Posted By: blair5002 Re: Old Wives Tale? - 12/16/09 03:52 AM
I took this as a joke. When it says to put them back on the roof to recharge so to speak made me question this tale.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Old Wives Tale? - 12/16/09 03:09 PM
It must be true. For many years I fished/canoed the upper Rappahannock and Rapidan Rivers below Culpeper, VA. For some reason there were lots of tires in both rivers above where they came together. The campground/outfitter where we stayed paid $1.00 for every tire people would pull out of the river. We usually only fished the rivers in May and June, and we'd always pull out a number of tires during that time. By the middle of July those sections of the river were clogged with FA so that fishing just wasn't any fun. If it wasn't the tires, what else could possibly explain such a phenomenon? ;\)
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Old Wives Tale? - 12/16/09 03:43 PM
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo
If it wasn't the tires, what else could possibly explain such a phenomenon?

A reduction in algae could be caused by:

Alien algae abduction.

Bigfoot algae binge.

Global colding.
Posted By: ewest Re: Old Wives Tale? - 12/16/09 03:48 PM
Accumulation of campground waste going into the river - natural upstream fertilizer , corn waste from the nearby stills , excess hot air or waste from DC ? \:D -- ;\)
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Old Wives Tale? - 12/18/09 08:43 PM
 Originally Posted By: ewest
. . . corn waste from the nearby stills . . . \:D -- ;\)

Hey! Easy, easy, easy! Far from accurate, there, Eric! We don't let our stills leak! That's alcohol abuse! ;\)
Posted By: ewest Re: Old Wives Tale? - 12/19/09 02:23 AM
Yes and leaks kill all the bait as well (worms). ;\)
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Old Wives Tale? - 12/19/09 02:55 AM
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Yes and leaks kill all the bait as well (worms). ;\)

Or at least make them too lethargic to dance around on the hook and attract fish!
© Pond Boss Forum