Pond Boss
Posted By: trialsguy duckweed in my floating island - 05/17/08 04:57 AM
Howdy guys its been awhile since I have been on, got lots of projects going, first priority is my sons graduation party here at the house so of course I have been feverishly getting the pond edge looking like a manicured lawn.

My floating island is more like a floating water garden, what I mean is the center part is level with the water so water flowers are what grows since it is flooded basically. I went to check it out today and the dang thing is full of DW and Heron poop. that suckers sits out on the island and fishes and I can bet that he brought the duckweed in with him!, My pond has been clean of the DW starting on its second season, I removed the island from the pond to let it dry out.

The other evening I was down at the pond just sitting on the dam and the Heron came in and saw me then took flight squawking at me then lit at the top of a tree and continued to squawk at me. How I wished I could have shut him up. Any way its pond season again and the fish are eating but it doesn't look like I have too many coming in or maybe that dang heron has fished them out.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: duckweed in my floating island - 05/17/08 10:40 AM
I believe I would do something to assure that absolutely none of the DW survived. I don't know what I would use( maybe bleach?) but think you are lucky to have spotted it before it spread.
I think I would also deter the heron from enjoying my pond.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: duckweed in my floating island - 05/17/08 01:26 PM
I am trying to figure out how to make his stay not so pleasant but its 600 ft away and out of sight of the house. I need to catch a big snapper that has founds its way into my pond who likes hanging out on another float pad that I have, conibear traps worked good on the last ones maybe I need to lengthen the chain and put a weight on the chain in the middle. I will have more time to hang out down there after this weekend.

I plan on running a shore line inspection today in better light to make sure that there isn't any starting up.
© Pond Boss Forum