Pond Boss
Posted By: Snipe American pond weed - 11/16/18 07:20 AM
Would anyone happen to have a suggestion of where I could "buy" American pond weed?? I have transplanted a few sprigs from a res I frequent 150 miles from me and in pulling these up, I'm afraid I'm going to introduce a variety of plant that could possibly ruin things. The lake I got my pond weed from, also has milfoil and that's a problem I don't want to deal with.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: American pond weed - 11/16/18 11:57 AM
Here is what I did, so I will pass it along. First off I bought plants for the pond and the crawfish ate some of them and some did not survive the transplant so I wound up with no plants and a thinner wallet. I wound up getting some from Highflyers lake, but once again it did not take and I am not sure why other than I had very small amount. I then went to a public lake and gatherer up a good couple of handfuls and wrapped it in wet newspaper for transportation to my pond. I washed each strand using well water and inspected it all VERY Closely. I then transplanted it into some water that was about a foot deep and close to where I could monitor for any unwanted plants. I did this in two spots and today I have a half dozen spots where the pondweed has taken hold and doing well. The new spots started by fragmentation.
Posted By: Snipe Re: American pond weed - 11/16/18 05:51 PM
Maybe I'll be ok just using the transplants as long as I'm careful then.. Good call rinsing them.
Thanks.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: American pond weed - 11/16/18 08:58 PM
My thoughts on purchased plant vs transplants...

You run the risk of hitch-hikers either way you go, especially if you buy online...you do not get to see the trough that the plant came from. Transplanting plants from a friends pond will , at least, give you the opportunity to look around for undesirables in the pond.

Rinsing can make a big difference, but don't count on it making all the difference. I had some online plants show up with duckweed, so I rinsed and rinsed again, but they still ended up in the pond. For some reason, they did not take and I have not seen any duckweed this year.

Your best insurance is to acquire plants from close proximity to your pond and isolate them for a month or so (in a tub or tank)and look for the growth of other types of plants.

The best method to plant the plants is to cover the range of depths that they are "supposed'" to grow well in and widen that range a bit. You will loose some to being too deep and some that will be too shallow, but you should find that some take and supply next years propagation (assuming that you do not have drastic water level changes).

Plants can be a fickle thing, however, and sometimes you get what "wants" to be there and there's not much you can do about it!
Posted By: Snipe Re: American pond weed - 11/17/18 12:59 AM
That's a good idea planting in a tub and see what developes...Great idea.
I have also found your statement about what "wants" to be there, is very true.
Thanks for the help folks, appreciate it!
Posted By: Snipe Re: American pond weed - 07/13/19 10:42 PM
Would like to revisit this and ask again if anyone would know the source in the south part of US that offered American or long leaf pond weed for sale. I seen it reading a post several months back and I have been unable to locate that again. A firm was selling these and I just don't remember who and I've looked this week several times with no luck. My transplants are few and although alive, not doing much. If anyone runs across pond weed for sale, please advise!
Thanks!!!
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: American pond weed - 07/13/19 11:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Snipe
Would like to revisit this and ask again if anyone would know the source in the south part of US that offered American or long leaf pond weed for sale. I seen it reading a post several months back and I have been unable to locate that again. A firm was selling these and I just don't remember who and I've looked this week several times with no luck. My transplants are few and although alive, not doing much. If anyone runs across pond weed for sale, please advise!
Thanks!!!

Get in touch with Joe Snow (North of Dallas).
http://www.joesnowaquaticplants.com/
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: American pond weed - 07/13/19 11:21 PM
Kenny I have some up here, come on up anytime.
Posted By: Snipe Re: American pond weed - 07/14/19 04:24 AM
Thanks guys!
TJ, I would imagine we'll be meeting up here sometime for a perch delivery. Not sure when that will be but I may make a trip up next weds if you'll be available.
Posted By: Augie Re: American pond weed - 07/15/19 03:51 PM
I have lots of APW. Would be no trouble to bring some along when the time comes.
Posted By: Snipe Re: American pond weed - 07/15/19 04:48 PM
Ok, I just sent a PM but your idea is even better!
Either way, I'm happy to pay for it. I think TJ has some at his place too. Maybe we can create a hybrid APW variety!
Posted By: Augie Re: American pond weed - 07/15/19 05:13 PM
I'll get some pics and post up here when I can. TinyPic is busted today and I'm not able to upload anything.

There's another plant growing in my pond that I really like, but I haven't been able to identify it. I'm hoping someone will recognize it.
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: American pond weed - 07/16/19 12:44 AM
I have read that APW can grow to depths of 7 feet. It is also listed as invasive, although native to the continent. If that is true, have any of you that have it in your pond substantiate this? Has it ever become an issue that required managing?

I'd love to have it in my pond, but with limited space, I would be just a bit apprehensive about it becoming a problem.
Posted By: anthropic Re: American pond weed - 07/16/19 05:06 AM
Mike, I have AP mixed with some kind of grass (nitella) and can say that the AP does not hinder fishing nearly as much as the grass. AP maybe grows out to 4-5 feet depth in my BOW, less than the grass, and does not cover entire shoreline.

Overall, AP has been a plus for me and doesn't seem to become a nuisance. Not yet, at any rate.
© Pond Boss Forum