Pond Boss
Posted By: ETD66SS Tree identification help - 05/30/18 11:25 PM
Anyone know what kind of tree this is?

https://imgur.com/a/7WExu1f]

I have been brush hogging a crap load of them to make room for spruce trees next spring, these are growing like weeds on my land, seems like in only the last few years.
Posted By: Matzilla Re: Tree identification help - 05/30/18 11:37 PM
Can you post pictures of the leaves
Posted By: scott69 Re: Tree identification help - 05/31/18 01:19 AM
almost looks like some type of myrtle..maybe wax myrtle..
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Tree identification help - 05/31/18 02:01 AM
I have some educated guesses, but I'd rather not possibly lead you down an incorrect path. I would say that it is a non-native invasive. In a way, that is good. They are closely tracked.

Clip off a full branch with live leaves and take it to your local cooperative extension service office. In NY they are administered through Cornell University Local Extension Service Offices

In the meantime, go to the Virginia Tech Tree Identification. The site includes many tools for identifying woody plants, including invasive.

Ken
Posted By: ETD66SS Re: Tree identification help - 05/31/18 09:34 AM
Originally Posted By: Matzilla
Can you post pictures of the leaves

Posted By: ETD66SS Re: Tree identification help - 05/31/18 10:14 AM
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I have some educated guesses, but I'd rather not possibly lead you down an incorrect path. I would say that it is a non-native invasive. In a way, that is good. They are closely tracked.

Clip off a full branch with live leaves and take it to your local cooperative extension service office. In NY they are administered through Cornell University Local Extension Service Offices

In the meantime, go to the Virginia Tech Tree Identification. The site includes many tools for identifying woody plants, including invasive.

Ken

Thanks for all the good advice.

After my own research, I think they are Spicebush shrubs.

United States Department of Agriculture NRCS
Posted By: RAH Re: Tree identification help - 05/31/18 12:09 PM
It does not look like the spicebush we have on our place. Is it very aromatic when you break a twig?
Posted By: ETD66SS Re: Tree identification help - 05/31/18 12:16 PM
Originally Posted By: RAH
It does not look like the spicebush we have on our place. Is it very aromatic when you break a twig?

Yeah, the leaves on this tree/shrub seem to be smaller than spicebush, and I don't recall the red berries.

I'll see what they smell like.
Posted By: RAH Re: Tree identification help - 05/31/18 12:57 PM
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/tree-key/simple-leaf-trees.htm
Posted By: ETD66SS Re: Tree identification help - 06/01/18 10:34 AM
So, I went to my land yesterday, crumpled up a leaf and smelled it, had a pretty strong smell. What it smelled like, I have no idea...

One thing I noticed, these things seem to grow a couple different ways. In some cases they look like trees with a single trunk, and almost 15ft tall, in other cases they grow in bunches with many shoots and only seem to be about 10ft tall.

When they grow like a tree, the leaves are about 3 inches long, when they grow like a bush, the leaves are only about 1.5 inches long.

I cut a 15 footer down yesterday with a chainsaw to count rings, it was only 6 years old @ 15ft tall.

I've used a bunch of online tree identification tools, I'm not finding exactly what I have.
Posted By: esshup Re: Tree identification help - 06/01/18 11:03 AM
Are they any of these?

Serviceberry
Posted By: Redonthehead Re: Tree identification help - 06/01/18 11:22 AM
persimmon?
Posted By: ETD66SS Re: Tree identification help - 06/01/18 01:36 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Are they any of these?

Serviceberry

Hmm, interesting how they describe they can look like a tree or a shrub.

However, can't say I recall any berries on these things, I'll have to keep a lookout for those. As of right now, there are no flowers or fruit of any kind on them.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Tree identification help - 06/05/18 07:02 PM
Not a service berry, service berry don't have "fuzz". We have several growing in random spots, and no silvery fur. Good shrub to have.

I swear his plant/tree looks more like Sage to me but the only type I am familiar with is a garden herb that smells like cat piss when it rains. Needless to say, the one in our front garden near the entry is gone now.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Tree identification help - 06/05/18 07:04 PM
Pawpaw? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asimina_triloba
Posted By: JKS3613 Re: Tree identification help - 06/05/18 10:06 PM
I use an app called Flowerchecker. You might want to check it out. You send a photo, or several, and a botanist will identify it within 24 hours. Best app of the type I have run across yet, and I've tried a bunch.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Tree identification help - 06/07/18 01:07 AM
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid

Never mind, while similar in shape and texture, the size is way off. Your tree's leaves are small, maybe 1-2". Pawpaws are closer to 6".
Posted By: loretta Re: Tree identification help - 06/07/18 05:48 AM
Looks like a choke cherry to me. We always considered them weed trees.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Tree identification help - 06/12/18 02:02 AM
Definitely not a choke cherry, at least the ones I have growing all over my property. For one the bark is all wrong. For another they are quite different looking than this:

https://goo.gl/images/WcRShh
Posted By: ETD66SS Re: Tree identification help - 06/30/18 10:04 PM
I still see no buds or flowers of any kind, think I'll try that flowerchecker app suggested above.
Posted By: kswaterfowler Re: Tree identification help - 07/01/18 12:05 AM
Go to habitat talk and post it in their what is this section. You’ll have a positive id from a gentleman over there before you go to bed tonight
© Pond Boss Forum