Pond Boss
I found this stuff over the weekend while bucket stocking crawfish from the creek. Pretty sure it's chara, but wanted some confirmation. I had forgotten about the crush and smell test, I'll be doing that this evening. The first photo shows the weed on a 1 gallon bucket for size reference.

I will probably be removing it from the pond although it showed up on it's own and will likely come back again. The ponds in my area tend to have a PH on the basic side of neutral and our waters are also typically hard. Nutrient levels are probably on the higher side as well.

Attached picture 20170716_141316.jpg
Attached picture 20170716_185858.jpg
Attached picture 20170716_141053.jpg
You have very good examples of Chara. Most of it does not look that ideal to the book pictures.
So Bill, you're saying have good photos of a very healthy specimen of an undesirable pest algae? Wonderful! and thanks for your participation.

I suppose I should get it out this evening. I will take a shovel and try to dig it up without disturbing the plant fibers.
Excellent photos! wink
Thanks Kelly, my phone does a pretty good job. It's the equipment in this case not necessarily the photographer.

Am I correct in thinking that I should take all the chara out that shows up? Right now, all that is in the pond is the small batch in the picture that was taken in the pond.
Manually removing chara is is lesson in futility. It breaks apart, and any little segment will grow somewhere else. If your water is exceptionally clear, it can really take off.

Chemical treatments and some plant-eating critters will go after it a little. I have personally not bothered and as time goes on, other more desirable plants are starting to overcome it.
QA,

I have similar water conditions to yours and I just live with the chara. I much prefer it to FA which seems to be its competitor.
© Pond Boss Forum