Pond Boss
Posted By: The Shadow Is this pond weed? - 06/01/17 10:57 PM
I went to the much provided texas a&m plant id website and the ladybird site. Even went thru some post on this sub forum. Not sure what this is, but its growing along the bank, in clumps of my pond

Attached picture 20170601_175338.jpg
Posted By: Shorty Re: Is this pond weed? - 06/01/17 11:54 PM
Try this.

http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/visual-index/water-primrose/
Posted By: The Shadow Re: Is this pond weed? - 06/02/17 12:34 AM
Ah! Thats it for sure. I read a post about it but wasnt sure based on the stock photos.

Is that a good plant for the pond?
Posted By: Shorty Re: Is this pond weed? - 06/02/17 01:32 AM
Good, bad, it probably depends on your perspective and if it becomes nuisance or not. I don't see water primrose around here much so I don't have an opinion on it but I can think of worse things to have growing in or around the pond. I am of the opinion that having light to moderate amounts of vegetation are good thing so long as it doesn't get out of control.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Is this pond weed? - 06/02/17 01:39 AM
+1
Posted By: RC51 Re: Is this pond weed? - 06/08/17 07:21 PM
Pond weed folks would say is one of the better weeds per say if your gonna have one. Well unless your swimming in it...lol notice how it has openings around it. It's not all clumped everywhere. Fish love it and because it doesn't always cover the entire pond makes for some good fishing. The first thing I thought about when I saw your pic was wow that looks like prime time for some floating artificial baits.... like said above the key is keeping it under control if you can.

I had some in my pond but my grass carp ate it all they love pondweed. I did not put the carp in there for that reason but they ate it anyway... lol

RC
Posted By: BrianL Re: Is this pond weed? - 06/08/17 08:08 PM
You have to stay on top of it because it can be very invasive. I have been spraying mine, since I have other plants starting to grow that I do like better.

For me, now willow and primrose get sprayed. I have't had any American Pond weed get started, but I will let it spread a little more.
© Pond Boss Forum