Pond Boss
Posted By: Quarter Acre Shoreline Plant ID Help - 05/30/17 12:43 PM
I have a small patch of this in the creek and was wondering if it would be a good candidate to transplant to the pond banks, but I can't seem to ID it. It is growing on a 2 foot by 4 foot "island" surrounded by slow moving or stagnant water depending on recent rains. I also have some in a five gallon pot that I have grown a tree in for future planting. Either way it seems to prefer moist/wet soil and does not seem to want to grow in or under water. This might be a good plant to put on my bare banks of my newly renovated pond for erosion control. Any ideas what name to research before I transplant?

Posted By: RAH Re: Shoreline Plant ID Help - 05/30/17 01:04 PM
Marsh marigold?
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Shoreline Plant ID Help - 05/30/17 08:56 PM
One of my friends recognized it as Moneywort or Creeping Jenny. Best I can tell from some reading is that it is only invasive if you think it is. Most people with a problem with this plant are ones who are trying to contain it in a yard landscape scenario. Otherwise, even though it does not seem to be native to the US, it appears to be good ground cover in moist areas and will tolerate a lot of shade but prefers more sun than not especially if you desire the flowers. I'll do some more reading before transplant in to the pond, but it has some potential for erosion control and beautification.

RAH, March Marigold was a good stab, but this stuff is vine-like how it grows it's stems and has opposing leaves. Thanks for the response.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Shoreline Plant ID Help - 05/31/17 12:44 AM
Button bush is another good shoreline/shallow water plant. Helps fight erosion, and butterflies, bees, and birds like the flowers.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Shoreline Plant ID Help - 05/31/17 07:48 PM
I love the button brush. I used to have some at my old place in the bottoms, but I haven't seen any of it at my newer property. I have some good places to plant it so I'll keep my eye open. Not sure I'd plant it at the pond. My banks are pretty steep and the Button Brush can get taller than I am (5'8"). That would block the view of the water in places.
© Pond Boss Forum