Pond Boss
Posted By: Flyguy1821 Plant ID - 05/16/17 09:40 PM
Can someone help me identify this plant? It is growing quite rapidly and I need to have a plan to reduce/eliminate chemically. It is attached to the bottom, is "leafy" and seems to be branched not a single stalk. Looks like Southern Naiad, Bushy Pondweed from the identifier.

[img:left][/img]

[img:left][/img]
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: Plant ID - 05/17/17 02:04 AM
Slender pondweed (Potamogeton pusillus).
The longer alternating leaves distinguishes it from southern naiad, although the treatment options are essentially the same.
Depending on your pond's dynamics and your objectives, fluridone, endothall, diquat or copper herbicides are all potential treatments, as are grass carp (if legal in your region).
Posted By: Flyguy1821 Re: Plant ID - 05/17/17 02:18 AM
Thanks Kelly! I used Cutrine Granular around the edge of the pond a couple weeks ago. These pics are post application. Did I use the wrong application method or perhaps a "better" method? I am very new to all of this so please dumb it down for me smile
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: Plant ID - 05/17/17 03:39 AM
Cutrine Plus (liquid or granular) is only useful as an algaecide, and has no activity toward vascular plants (with few exceptions).
Herbicides (versus algaecides) are needed for plant management objectives.
Endothall (AQUATHOL K liquid / AQUATHOL SUPER K granular)
Fluridone (SONAR, AVAST, FLURIDONE)
Diquat (REWARD, TRIBUNE, et al)
Copper (HARPOON, NAUTIQUE, KOMEEN, et al)
All of the above herbicides and the associated brand names are potential candidates for treating slender pondweed, and many other vascular plant species.
Selecting the proper product depends on the variables associated with your specific pond, as well as your ultimate objectives.
If desired, shoot me a PM and I'll send you a questionnaire to fill out that will provide me with basic but necessary info that I'd need in order to point you in the right direction, in regards to product-selection.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Plant ID - 05/17/17 11:31 AM
If you are looking for a natural control and if they are legal in MO, I think I've read that grass carp will eat slender pond weed. Maybe one of the pros can confirm.
© Pond Boss Forum