Pond Boss
Posted By: scott69 plant ID please - 05/06/17 08:22 PM
https://goo.gl/photos/vMYqmLFvrMut7K4M8

what is the floating leafy plant? the submerged plant (which looks to be dieing) was ID'd as chara a while back. are th leaves from the chara or totally different plant?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: plant ID please - 05/06/17 09:06 PM
Looks like American pondweed.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: plant ID please - 05/07/17 08:19 PM
It might not be American pondweed but it probably is one of the pondweed species. How long in inches are the leaves? Can you get a close picture of the leaves next to a ruler?
Posted By: scott69 Re: plant ID please - 05/18/17 08:46 PM
just getting back to this thread. the leavea are probably about 1 inch long. will cutrine take care of it?
Posted By: Flyguy1821 Re: plant ID please - 05/18/17 10:45 PM
Scott, look at my recent post about plant ID. I asked about cutrine for pondweed as well but Kelly Duffy had a nice explanation which you may find helpful.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: plant ID please - 05/19/17 01:34 AM
Bill Cody I have the same plant and it's leaves are only 1" long . I thought that it was American Pondweed but the leaves are to short. It has spread all around my 5acre pond out to maybe 3' deep . Seems to be very prolific and hope it's more beneficial for yoy
BG . Since having the blue green last year this might be good??
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: plant ID please - 05/19/17 04:41 AM
Potamogeton diversifolius
aka waterthread pondweed
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: plant ID please - 05/19/17 06:58 PM
So Kelly is this plant a good one or invasive?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: plant ID please - 05/19/17 07:20 PM
Potamogeton diversifolius is a native species to the US. It will develop small floating leaves up to 1"wide x 2"long. It is also called snailseed pondweed. If the plants do not develop the small floating leaves then you have some other species. When not overabundant it is good habitat for small fish and waterfowl eat the plants and seeds.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: plant ID please - 05/19/17 10:06 PM
Thanks Bill
Posted By: scott69 Re: plant ID please - 05/29/17 01:34 AM
would a herbicide like eraser work for the pond weed?
© Pond Boss Forum