Pond Boss
Posted By: Yak n Bass Guru's of weed ID please - 08/02/15 11:33 PM
A rush of some sort maybe?

Posted By: esshup Re: Guru's of weed ID please - 08/21/15 12:48 PM
Yes
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Guru's of weed ID please - 08/21/15 01:59 PM
For best guess we should see the tips of the stems. From the bottom it looks a lot like a species of spike rush. Seed heads and seeds are important in speciation of the rushes.
Posted By: Yak n Bass Re: Guru's of weed ID please - 08/31/15 06:17 PM
I have not seen a head on them yet.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Guru's of weed ID please - 08/31/15 07:05 PM
If they are spike rush (Eleocharis), in some species the seed head at the tip drops off mid to late summer. Is the stem round in cross section?
Posted By: RC51 Re: Guru's of weed ID please - 08/31/15 07:15 PM
Guru's of weed!! LOL!! That wasn't the first thing I thought of when I saw this post..... hahahahahahaha

RC
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Guru's of weed ID please - 08/31/15 08:41 PM
I view sedges and rushes as beneficial emergent vegetation and encourage it to grow anywhere I find it. Helps with shoreline stabilization and reduction in bank erosion due to wave action.

That duckweed or watermeal in the photo, however, can pose a real problem if left unmanaged. Might want to keep an eye on it or act on it now.
Posted By: snrub Re: Guru's of weed ID please - 08/31/15 09:13 PM
I hope they are a good idea. I planted some in about 6 places around the main pond. I see some are starting naturally in sediment pond. Probably birds brought in.

Don't know the variety, just that they were common around daughters pond.
Posted By: Yak n Bass Re: Guru's of weed ID please - 09/01/15 12:25 AM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I view sedges and rushes as beneficial emergent vegetation and encourage it to grown anywhere I find it. Helps with shoreline stabilization and reduction in bank erosion due to wave action.

That duckweed or watermeal in the photo, however, can pose a real problem if left unmanaged. Might want to keep an eye on it or act on it now.

Duckweed and the pond has enough water movement that it only grows in a couple of calm areas.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Guru's of weed ID please - 09/01/15 12:27 AM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I view sedges and rushes as beneficial emergent vegetation and encourage it to grown anywhere I find it. Helps with shoreline stabilization and reduction in bank erosion due to wave action.

+1 It's certainly a preferred plant in my pond.
© Pond Boss Forum