Pond Boss
Posted By: BassMeister Narrowed it down... - 05/16/13 09:42 PM
I think it's milfoil or chara, it has a smell but not real strong, but my allergies are killing me so I don't trust that criteria!

What do you think?
Posted By: esshup Re: Narrowed it down... - 05/17/13 01:26 AM
EWM. (Eurasian Water Milfoil)
Posted By: BassMeister Re: Narrowed it down... - 05/17/13 07:43 AM
I saw somewhere that I need to contact TPWD or some other organization if I have this? Are you confident of your ID?
Posted By: esshup Re: Narrowed it down... - 05/17/13 09:23 AM
Take a look here and tell me what you think. I'm pretty confident.
Posted By: bcotton Re: Narrowed it down... - 05/17/13 09:38 AM
Eurasian Watermilfoil, Family Haloragaceae is on the texas list as exotic/prohibited. And your pictures do look like it.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/exotic/prohibited_aquatic.phtml

I would e-mail TPWD with those pictures. Tell them what you think the picture is, tell them where it is and ask them what you need to do.

my hunch is on a private pond they are probably going to tell you need to make sure you dont spread it to public water and that it's your problem to control on your land.

ref: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/landwater/water/environconcerns/nuisance_plants/

I have e-mailed TPWD a few times and always received quick and useful responses.

brian
Posted By: BassMeister Re: Narrowed it down... - 05/17/13 09:30 PM
I don't have the leafless spikes out of the water
Posted By: esshup Re: Narrowed it down... - 05/18/13 03:56 AM
That'll come when the plant is more mature - maybe a month from now, maybe sooner.
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: Narrowed it down... - 05/18/13 05:53 AM
Definitely Eurasian watermilfoil. TPWD probably won't get too alarmed since it is already present in many TX private lakes and several public reservoirs. But, as bcotton mentioned, they'll probably recommend its aggressive management (on your own dime) and advise you of your obligation to avoid transporting it anywhere and in any manner.
EWM isn't terribly difficult to control in small lakes and ponds, assuming static water conditions (no flow-through) and no irrigation occurs from the BOW.
Posted By: esshup Re: Narrowed it down... - 05/18/13 07:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Kelly Duffie
EWM isn't terribly difficult to control in most cases; assuming you have static water conditions (no flow-through) and don't irrigate from the BOW.

Sounds like a great recipe to use a Fluridone based product. wink
© Pond Boss Forum