Pond Boss
Posted By: R&R Mini Valcano's - 12/27/12 12:44 AM
Walking around the small pond this weekend and there were several of these "Mini Valcano's" sprouting up off the bottom. Figure they are some kind of an algea bloom. are these common? Thanks Rob

Attached picture valcano.jpg
Posted By: ewest Re: Mini Valcano's - 12/27/12 02:30 AM
Looks like FA.
Posted By: esshup Re: Mini Valcano's - 12/27/12 05:01 AM
I agree. FA that has trapped some air.
Posted By: Pinetar Re: Mini Valcano's - 12/27/12 05:55 AM
Just a quick comment... I don't understand hardly any of the abbreviations y'all use...Just saying wouldn't it be nice to type the whole word at least once in the post and then abbreviate from that point forward... sure would be nice not to have to try and decipher all these LMB< SMB< FA< PS< BG< RES< CC YP< BG< RBT, etc, etc ,etc. Especially for those of us that have not been Pond Boss members since NFTB.... wait for it....wait for it...NFTB... Noah Floated the Boat!!
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: Mini Valcano's - 12/27/12 06:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Pinetar
Just a quick comment... sure would be nice not to have to try and decipher all these LMB< SMB< FA< PS< BG< RES< CC YP< BG< RBT, etc, etc ,etc.
An Uncle Bob's Decoder Ring was originally issued with each PB forum registration. However, a marketing consultant altered the policy so that the device is now only issued to magazine subscribers. Deciphering the forum's secret codes is a PITA without it. grin
Posted By: JKB Re: Mini Valcano's - 12/27/12 11:48 AM
Originally Posted By: Pinetar
Just a quick comment... I don't understand hardly any of the abbreviations y'all use...Just saying wouldn't it be nice to type the whole word at least once in the post and then abbreviate from that point forward... sure would be nice not to have to try and decipher all these LMB< SMB< FA< PS< BG< RES< CC YP< BG< RBT, etc, etc ,etc. Especially for those of us that have not been Pond Boss members since NFTB.... wait for it....wait for it...NFTB... Noah Floated the Boat!!

Here is a link to all the acronyms.

PB Acronyms

Bookmark it or print it out and keep it handy.
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Mini Valcano's - 12/27/12 02:21 PM
I was the same way Pinetar. The list of acronyms really helps. But thanks to you, the list is going have to get longer now...NFTB ...thats a good one. smile
Posted By: ewest Re: Mini Valcano's - 12/27/12 04:48 PM
OK - filamentous algae or see

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92633#Post92633

OR a few types
Spirogyra
Cladophora
Pithophora
Anabaena
Oscillatoria
Lyngbya
Nostoc
Nodularia
And likely several thousand more varieties
Posted By: R&R Re: Mini Valcano's - 12/27/12 06:37 PM
Thanks for the comments. Pinetar I still have to refer to my cheat sheet quite often.

Should I do anything about or just let er go? it is only showing up on the dam side which is the west side.
Posted By: ewest Re: Mini Valcano's - 12/27/12 06:50 PM
Watch it for now and read the thread and links noted above. Pull some up and get good pics for id purposes. Then you can be ready well before spring to make that decision.
Posted By: esshup Re: Mini Valcano's - 12/27/12 07:34 PM
Do what ewest recommends, but I wouldn't worry about it for right now, as treatments require warmer water. You might have the type that grows in cold water, and it'll die back by itself when the water warms up in the Spring. If you don't have enough underwater plants to utilize the nutrients in the pond, then you'll have the warm water type of FA to combat.

I'd bet your water temps are below 50°F now.
Posted By: John Monroe Re: Mini Valcano's - 01/02/13 09:58 AM
I do try to add a full word now and then when describing fish & plants because I have to grab my cheat sheet at times also. My pet peeve is there is no abbreviation for IC. It is hard for me to get the spelling right every time.
© Pond Boss Forum