Pond Boss
Posted By: Krakenkeeper Aerating my 1/4 acre pond. - 05/21/23 04:46 PM
So its 1/4 acre, roughly square-ish the deep hole on one quarter goes to about 11 feet, the rest averages 5-6 feet till uou get right up close to the banks. My question is this, do I go with a single 1/4hp pump and drop the diffuser in the bottom of the hole, or go with a 1/2 hp pump and two diffusers, one in the hole and one somewhere in the middle. The thought with the 2nd diffuser on the bigger is I read somewhere that too large of a pump could create too much back pressure on the pump itself so I figured I'd give it a 2nd outlet under less psi to act as a bleeder basically. Please by all means, pick my logic apart, I need some air in this thing, I've got cattle so I've also got massive amounts of algae, and would like to be able to plant it. But first I gotta be able to get light to the plants on the bottom. Help please 🙏
Posted By: esshup Re: Aerating my 1/4 acre pond. - 05/29/23 01:23 AM
The aeration system alone won't stop the algae from growing. 1/4 hp compressor is enough to run two diffusers, you have to size the diffusers to the compressor, and size the compressor to the depth of the pond. You will be working with roughly 6 psi back pressure due to the water depth and other associated losses, so size the 1/4 hp compressor so that it will produce at least 2.5 -4.5 cfm @ 6psi.
© Pond Boss Forum