Pond Boss
Posted By: DannyMac Aerating, but it;s gonna get cold again - 02/06/19 07:04 AM
So, south Texas, I've been aerating and got pond bottom up from 49 F to 59 F over two days. I have two more days with 60s low...so can get warmer still. But, come Friday, a hard front will blow, and Saturday's high is like 43 F. 1/10 acre pond, call it 7 feet deep. I'm worried that I might get the temp high (say 62 F) in two more days but then suffer a ten degree drop in only one day. Is such a drop okay for my fish? Should I stop aerating now to reduce the temperature change? Always! All Y'alls' wisdom is appreciated.
Posted By: snrub Re: Aerating, but it;s gonna get cold again - 02/06/19 01:42 PM
I have heard rapid temperature swings are hard on fish. Some more than others. Seems like, IIRC, RES are stressed more than BG with quick temperature drops.

I will be interested to see what the experts say.
Water temperatures don't change that drastically due to outside temperatures. If you don't aerate that is.
Posted By: DannyMac Re: Aerating, but it;s gonna get cold again - 02/06/19 04:28 PM
Thanks for the responses! I guess I'll let the aerators run through tomorrow, then shut them off for the cold weather. Catfish are coming to the surface to feed, water is 61 F on the bottom. They should be cozy when the cold blows in.
© Pond Boss Forum