Pond Boss
Posted By: Texasbuckeye Is there any benefit? - 06/03/17 10:29 PM
Old lake, 32 acres fed by a creek and rain run off. When rain is dropping the drainage system allows lake water to drain until full pool is reached at 32 acres. Recently had 5.5 inches of rain over a weekend raise the pool about 2-3 feet which was gone by the following weekend.

Is there any benefit to aeration in such a situation? I would like to help the fish in there as much as possible but don't want to spend money uselessly.
Posted By: ewest Re: Is there any benefit? - 06/04/17 02:39 PM
Aeration for a 32 acre lake would be expensive. What is your yearly water level change ?
Posted By: snrub Re: Is there any benefit? - 06/04/17 08:42 PM
Ewest would it do any good to aerate just a portion of the lake? Say a cove or arm?
Posted By: ewest Re: Is there any benefit? - 06/04/17 10:18 PM
That could help. Depends on the situation.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Is there any benefit? - 06/05/17 12:59 AM
What is the deepest part of the lake? Average depth? How much of the lake is average depth and less?
Posted By: Texasbuckeye Re: Is there any benefit? - 06/05/17 03:36 AM
Thanks for all the input. All these questions I don't yet know the answer to. I plan on getting a small boat out there with a depth finder to see how deep and what the bottom looks like. Once I get more info I can report back, although it's likely to be some time. Was just curious if there was any consensus of what BOW is too big, if there is any, regarding aeration.

Rise and fall of this water totally depends on rainfall. Already this year I have seen a rise of over 2 feet, and a small drop of around 4-6 inches from full pool. I know a few years ago with record breaking rains, the lake exercised the emergency spillway, so that would be a rise of around 10-15 feet. But that is a once in a decade (or longer) type of event. I would imagine ries of a foot to two feet are at least annual if not more often, again depending rain. However, I just purchased this property a month ago and just don't have the info yet.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Is there any benefit? - 06/05/17 12:43 PM
I don't know 32 acres... I would just let mother nature take care of that. We had a 36 acre lake behind our house growing up. I fished it all the time as a kid from when I was like 8 till I graduated High School and never did we have a fish kill in it. Not saying it couldn't happen but I think I would save my money...

RC
© Pond Boss Forum