Pond Boss
Posted By: bikerider Aeration or Pond Heater for winter ice? - 01/13/17 06:56 PM
Hi all, I have two small ponds, one about 700 gallons and another about 125 gallons. They are both icing over consistently as of the last month or so. This is my first winter having ponds and first time dealing with them icing over. I have goldfish in the big pond and nothing in the small pond. I have been breaking the ice when I can but often I am not home consistently. I would like to find a way to keep the ice open in at least one area so gases can escape. My question is: should I go with a pond heater or a small aerator? I live in Western Washington and our temps on average get into the teens at the lowest point. Will an aerator work at these temps? I am open to hearing other options as well if they exist.
Go to "The Pond Guy" website or Amazon and buy a floating heater...they work great. Like aeration with a pond or lake, I don't think you want the water at the bottom to be as cold as that on top in the winter. Winter aeration might not be good. Floating heater always worked great in our water feature of about 1400 gallons. BM61
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Aeration or Pond Heater for winter ice? - 01/13/17 10:35 PM
I do know with gold fish you should not smash the ice to break it up. My buddy killed all his koi with way. Came home from a trip south and had a fit. Smashed a hole with a sledge hammer. Spring ice out all the fish we dead from the shock.
Thanks for the information guys. I'm off to look for a floating heater. Fortunately I read that about smashing the ice before winter hit.
© Pond Boss Forum