Pond Boss
Posted By: Bing Using well water to increase water level - 08/01/06 02:55 AM
I know this subject has been discussed here, but I just can't find the links. My friend down in Louisville has a pond that slowly leaks water. He has an abandoned well nearby and wants to know the pros and cons of using an electric pump to supplement the water supply. Could someone supply the link to some of these Pond Boss past discussions? Of course any new information will be appreciated.

BING
Bing, the posts are pretty scattered. It essentially depends on the size of the pond in relation to the GPM capability of the well.

Think about it. If the pond is one acre, that is 43,560 sq. ft. I'll leave the math to the guys with the slip sticks regarding how many gallons per acre ft. And, this is just the part relating to whether the well has the capability to impress the pond. While he is filling, the water is evaporating and leaking.

There will be a $ cost to get the old well cleaned out and pumping. I expect it would at least need a new pump. Then the cost of the electricity.

Others will chime in (I hope) but, for the most part, it takes a huge amount of water to help and the electric power is getting more expensive each day.
Posted By: Gene Re: Using well water to increase water level - 08/01/06 03:29 AM
Bing, I use a small pump thats used for basements incase of a leak. I have a 10"dia well thats close to the pond. the pump is on a timer and held up with a rope in the well. so far it works good but on hot days it some times cant keep up with the leak and evaporation. I have set the timer from 4 to 12 hours a day. I have a one inch black poly pipe with a fountain head on it.
Just keep the head 4 inches above the surface or when it shuts off it will siphon back in you well or you can put a check valve inline.
good luck
© Pond Boss Forum