Pond Boss
Posted By: ball44 Am I doing the right thing? - 07/19/06 11:23 PM
I have a pond that was just dug last august. It is now about half full, I have no source of water going to it but rainfall, I don't even have runoff as it is built above everything. When full the the pond measures 105' x 68' and is supposed to be 12'deep. I estimate that there is about 6' to 7' of water in it right now. The last couple of weeks it has been in the 90's and I have had some fish kill. Tonight I hooked up a small sump pump that is in about 1' deep water and have the hose suspended a couple of feet above the water and set a timer for it to run 8 hrs. per night. In your opinons will this help or am I just wasting time and electricity? I don't currently have the money to buy an aerator and am hoping that when it is full I won't need one. (wishful thinking)
Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
ball44
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Am I doing the right thing? - 07/20/06 12:03 AM
It can't hurt and it probably is helping a little. Can you add a nozzle to the discharge to up the outlet velocity a little? This might inject a little more O2 with the water.

Your wishful thinking likely is.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Am I doing the right thing? - 07/20/06 02:26 PM
Can you operate it deeper? The deeper it will pump the better. At the cost of electricity these days(16.7 c per kwh in Houston), it wont take long to have spent enough for a small air compressor.
© Pond Boss Forum