Pond Boss
Posted By: squeeky Electricity for aeration pump - 06/25/03 05:09 AM
I understand the benefits of aeration in ponds,
but I don't understand how so many ponds have
an available source of electricity. My ponds are
are not near a power transformer (1/2 to 3/4 mile away). Extending power costs $2.20/ft, and running extensions from existing service is not
practical past 300 feet even with heavy gauge
cable. So, what's the solution ? I do have a small pond about 500 feet away. I trenched a
ditch the distance expecting to extend a cable
from existing service, but aborted the project
when I calculated that I could only supply about
700 watts using 6 gauge cable and still be under
the recommended 2% voltage drop.
Posted By: Robert B Re: Electricity for aeration pump - 06/25/03 12:23 PM
It sounds like you're a good cantidate for a windmill aerator. With a piston pump and some 1 inch ID airline, you can pump air a long way though. I would like to know some distances done by others.
Robert B
Posted By: Eastland Re: Electricity for aeration pump - 06/25/03 11:00 PM
Squeeky, It sounds like you're a good candidate for a solar system. I've seen some awesome setups, no electric bill either. Do some internet research, you'll be suprised at what's out there for remote areas. My whole campsite is solar powered, neat stuff !
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Electricity for aeration pump - 06/26/03 02:11 AM
Remote ponds are a problem when it comes to artificial circulation. For these ponds its wind, solar, or nothing and live with the resultant problems.
Posted By: ken Re: Electricity for aeration pump - 06/26/03 03:50 AM
squeeky , look into 220 compresser .
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Electricity for aeration pump - 06/29/03 01:59 AM
ken, What is a "220 compressor"? and Why is it beneficial for his application?
Posted By: ken Re: Electricity for aeration pump - 07/02/03 12:21 AM
bill, 220 v 1 ph 60 hz compresser draws 2.5 amps each leg for 1/4 hp Gast rotary vane compresser which will aereate 2 acre pond , which you already know lol . a 115 v draws 5 amps one leg , plain and simple , smaller wire longer distance . im not telling anybody how or what size wire to run , thats for you to talk to a qualified electrican . off course you have figure in start up amps and line drop . but you go lot father with 220. im running mine 4 hours night ,4 hours in morning , on timer. in evening i run wall fall pump 220. hope that helps
© Pond Boss Forum