Pond Boss
Posted By: reddirt Matala Rotary Vane vs Gast - 07/30/19 03:09 PM
Wonder if anyone has any input the Matala vs the Gast?

Small pond so the
1/5 HP Matala Rotary Vane Air Compressor
or the
1/4 HP Gast Rotary Vane would do great.

Just trying to see if anyone has real world applications. Greatest concern is the decibel level. I'm going to make an aircrete vented box to conceal as much/if not all of the sound as I can.

Thanks
Posted By: ChasnSac Re: Matala Rotary Vane vs Gast - 07/30/19 04:18 PM
I have been using the 1/4 HP Gast Rotary compressor for over a year and it works flawlessly 24/7/365. I am in a hot climate area and installed my unit in a large landscape valve box with a push/pull fan on both ends. I need to add some gasket material to the lid to prevent some minor rattling between the box and the lid; otherwise, works as advertised.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Matala Rotary Vane vs Gast - 07/30/19 04:30 PM
Kudos to my Gast 1/4hp pump that has been in use for over a year averaging about 8 hours a day. I would say the the pump by itself, on the workbench running, is about as noisy as a loud vacuum cleaner. It gets louder the more back pressure it realizes, but not much louder.

I think you could really get the sound levels down using an aircrete box with aircrete lid or soundproofed roof (I'd use foam and wood for the roof with plastic or sheet metal cap if an aircrete roof is not doable). The key will be venting the air passages so that they direct the noise away from any areas that people will be.

I have no experience with the Matala.

You should do a DIY aircrete pump house thread!
© Pond Boss Forum