Pond Boss
Posted By: Funky Fall set up for northern pond aeration - 11/01/18 09:42 PM
Question: I am in Mid-Michigan (Midland) have closed down the aeration to the deep parts of the pond for winter, water temps at 38 degrees. Can I NOT aerate until we begin to get ice, then do so about 2 feet below the water surface with an open end air line? Pond is about 25 feet deep in one area and 15 feet in another total pond about half acre. Thanks for any input!!
Posted By: DannoG Re: Fall set up for northern pond aeration - 11/01/18 10:13 PM

You don't need to stop aerating to wait for the ice...
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Fall set up for northern pond aeration - 11/01/18 11:14 PM
I am in Ontario and when the water gets to 55 I turn off the deep water air stations and turn on the shallow water ones. Then turn them on 24/7.
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Fall set up for northern pond aeration - 11/07/18 10:28 PM
I would still want a diffuser on the end of the airline. Should make a much larger hole.
Originally Posted By: DannoG

You don't need to stop aerating to wait for the ice...

It's your electric bill.
I stopped my aeration system this year once the outside air temps were consistently lower than the pond water temps. Why cool the pond down faster than necessary? I measure my pond water at the surface, 18" down and at the bottom (7' down) and using the 18" and/or 7 foot down readings are more consistent, hence a better number to rely on when comparing to the outside air temps.

I will turn on one shallow diffuser if/when we get the threat of ice over, but only for the duration of the threat. We don't see a lot of ice here, if we do, it last for a few weeks max.
© Pond Boss Forum