Pond Boss
Posted By: Mike Whatley Diffuser maintainance - 09/23/18 02:44 PM
A quick ? for those who have some time on their aeration systems...At what interval do you usually clean your diffusers?

I'm considering adding some kind of base plate under mine, but if it can wait till I pull it up, I'd rather kill two birds with one stone.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Diffuser maintainance - 09/23/18 03:24 PM
We pull ours up once a year. In the summer when the water is nice for a swim I will put on two life jackets and pull them up one at a time. I have always pulled them up from the weighted air line not will a rope.

We have noticed a difference in water clarity keeping the head 30"s off the bottom.

Cheers Don.
Posted By: Clay N' Pray Re: Diffuser maintainance - 09/23/18 03:31 PM
I cleaned mine yesterday.
It had been in use for about a year.
It's a rubber membrane style.
It had a layer of black stuff on it.
I just wiped it clean and rinsed it off.
Couldn't tell any difference in the boil size.

I think the design has a lot to do with how often it needs cleaned.
Posted By: Flame Re: Diffuser maintainance - 09/23/18 06:18 PM
I have the pvc and perforated hose type. I cleaned mine after one year. I have poly rope tied onto duck decoys for easy location and use them to pull it up. Honestly...mine looked almost clean of any type sludge and they sit on there weighted base only in the deepest part of my pond which is usually around 10 foot. I guess I will continue to clean once a year but don't know if it needs it that often??
Posted By: ronman Re: Diffuser maintainance - 09/23/18 06:38 PM
I am new to this forum so please bear with me. I am considering an aeration system for my one year old 16 ft. deep pond. My question is whether there are any diffuser designs that eliminate the need to clean the diffusers for 5 or even 10 years. I suspect they would be costly but that would beat having to do annual cleaning (IMO)?
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: Diffuser maintainance - 09/23/18 11:28 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

Looks like I'll be pulling them up next spring before I start them back up (If I even shut it down). Won't be a big deal since I've done the decoy marker thing, just for this reason.

Ronman,
If such a critter exists, I've never come across it while researching for my system. Not gonna say it doesn't exist, but if it does, it ain't gonna be cheap!
© Pond Boss Forum