Pond Boss
Posted By: Damian Thread outlet of diaphragm pump - 07/21/18 10:57 PM
The hoses on my diaphragm pumps attach by sliding directly over the outlets with a spring clamp holding them in place.

They've come loose a couple of times, so I'd like a more secure connection.

Would it be possible/advisable to cut a thread on the outlets and connect hoses with standard pipe fittings?

NPT 3/8" looks like a good candidate -
the outer diameter is 0.675" (17.145mm), only slightly less than the outlet diameter (approx 18mm).
Posted By: Clay N' Pray Re: Thread outlet of diaphragm pump - 07/22/18 08:43 PM
I would not thread the outlet pipe directly.
I would use an adaptor like a glue on/hose clamp style that adapts the smooth pipe to threads.
Posted By: Damian Re: Thread outlet of diaphragm pump - 07/23/18 12:24 AM
The problem is that the pump nozzle is made from HDPE which requires special adhesives.
I'm not sure these adhesives can make a durable airtight seal between the nozzle and brass or nylon fittings.

Having said that, I'm starting to think this is the way to go.
Posted By: snrub Re: Thread outlet of diaphragm pump - 07/23/18 12:46 AM
Solution one might be a worm gear type clamp.

What I used on mine was a section of more flexible hose from the pump to the manifold. It is softer vinyl hose and clamps better to the smooth outlet. If you don't use a manifold, you could still use a short section of vinyl or EPDM hose with a butt connector (or tee, good place for a low pressure pressure gauge) and worm gear hose clamps.
Posted By: Damian Re: Thread outlet of diaphragm pump - 07/23/18 07:47 AM
I'm currently using a worm drive clamp, but the hose still works itself free every few days.

I haven't been able to find any vinyl hose in the right size.
I suspect it will grip even worse than the existing hose though!
Posted By: Clay N' Pray Re: Thread outlet of diaphragm pump - 07/23/18 09:22 AM
Maybe rough up the surface for a better grip? Or cut a small channel for a clamp to sit in.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Thread outlet of diaphragm pump - 07/23/18 02:20 PM
I would not thread it!
It sounds like more of an issue with the hose selection to me.
You should be using something like a "5/8' reinforced flexible clear hose". Local hardware store should have it. It will go on tight, use alcohol to lubricate the the interference fit.
Posted By: Corvetteman72 Re: Thread outlet of diaphragm pump - 07/27/18 04:48 PM
I purchased a pvc 3/4 nozzle fitting for mine and used the pvc primer/glue. Airtight and secure
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: Thread outlet of diaphragm pump - 08/17/18 10:13 PM
Hey Damian,
I just put my aeration system in and contrary to what I've read here, my pump (Gast Diaphram - Model # DOA-P701-AA) came with both the outlet and inlet threaded for 3/8npt. Barbed fitting and air filter were included (only needed some Teflon wrap) as well as the stainless worm clamps to attach the 3/8 sinking hose. Its only got a few hours on it, but so far...no issues, and that little 1/8hp pump puts out some serious air!!

So apparently it can be done. I'd be very careful not to crack the outlet tho.
© Pond Boss Forum