Pond Boss
Posted By: bdog Bottom diffuser and floating dock - 04/12/18 05:40 AM
I put an aeration system in my 1/3 acre oval pond that is 16’ deep when I first filled it. I have since added a large 15x30 floating dock that sits on about a dozen 2x4 rectangular floats.

The dock is in the middle of the pond, over the deepest spot. From what I read the actual oxygen is added by the water being circulated and reaching the surface and not from the bubbles themselves.

Would it be a bad idea or reduce the efficacy of the aerator to have it directly under the the center of the dock? Currently it is off to the side. I wonder if having the bubbles come up under the dock and hitting the floats instead of the open surface would be bad.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Bottom diffuser and floating dock - 04/12/18 12:11 PM
I would not want the bubbles coming up under a dock, especially if it were made of wood. The bursting of the bubbles could keep the wood moist and expedite the decaying process. Even if it were aluminum, I would think that the added exposure to drying water would add mineral deposits.

As far as aiding in the circulation of water... I think that forcing the bubbles to change direction at the surface to get out from under the floats could add some current, I bet it would be minor.
© Pond Boss Forum