Pond Boss
Posted By: Flame When to clean diffusers - 11/16/17 08:46 PM
Installed my aeriation First week of July this year.Began running 24 hours per day on June 15th and has run constantly ever since. I plan to turn it off when water gets to about 55 surface temp. My question is should I pull up all 3 diffusers and clean them after I turn it off for the winter or just wait to give them a good cleaning in the spring before I fire it back up?? Good techniques for cleaning? I have the Kasco type diffusers. They are Not diaphragm type.
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: When to clean diffusers - 11/17/17 11:24 AM
If you clean them now the "stuff" will just have time to accumulate by the time you turn them back on in the Spring. Mine are Vertex and clean right up no problem with a scrub brush.
Posted By: Flame Re: When to clean diffusers - 11/17/17 11:35 AM
Thank you Mr. Buffet, You are an early bird. It is 5:30 am here in east Texas. Where in the mountains are you located? Have you turned aeriation off?
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: When to clean diffusers - 11/17/17 12:07 PM
Haha I am actually in Atlanta, but my system is in the mountains in CO. There has been a big discussion over what to do with my system over the winter. Since I have trout we are running straight thru the winter. At last measurement my water temp was already 37.9! shocked
Posted By: Flame Re: When to clean diffusers - 11/17/17 12:24 PM
I have seen the pictures of your place. It is beautiful!! Water temp here is 67.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: When to clean diffusers - 11/17/17 01:24 PM
I cleaned my Kasco diffusers after binging in the pond for little less than a year. They had a small amount of stuff on them but not that much. I really did not know what I was looking for at the time other than looking for something from the norm I guess. I pulled them up with the attached rope I had left on them. And then cleaned them up with a soft to medium bristled brush. It was pretty easy to do but with the rock added inside the base of the diffusers they were a little bulky and cumbersome. So, based on what I saw, I would think you might clean them up before your next startup. But then again I guess "it depends" lol. Every pond seems to be a little different.
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: When to clean diffusers - 11/17/17 03:43 PM
Tracy,

It is very interesting how every pond is different. For whatever reason, my diffusers seem to have quite bit of "gunk" on them after one year.
© Pond Boss Forum