Pond Boss
Posted By: CraigB Aeration System Help - 09/27/17 05:32 PM
I all, I am new here. I was wondering if I could get some advice on an aeration system.

Here is an image of my pond about 2.5 acres as far as I can determine. I think the average depth is about 5 feet there are a few deeper spots perhaps about 10 feet.

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqf6492c1qj7hgo/Craig%27sPond.png?dl=0[/img]

I am looking to get the best system for under 1,000 dollars. I have electricity by each building in the pic.

Any advice is much appreciated!
Posted By: BrianL Re: Aeration System Help - 09/27/17 07:03 PM
To get that big an area for under $1K it will have to be a DIY system. A prebuilt like Kasco or Vertex will be 2 or 3 times that much.
Posted By: CraigB Re: Aeration System Help - 09/27/17 07:39 PM
I am fine with a DIY system. I am just not sure what pump/diffuser combo I need.
Posted By: BrianL Re: Aeration System Help - 09/27/17 08:44 PM
Going to take a lot of research, but you need to be able to turn your water over once in 24 hours. The shallower the diffuser the more air and diffusers you need. Just a WAG, but you might look at a 1/2 hp Gast compressor, 3-4 diffusers(vertex makes a good one), weighted 1/2" ID hose($1.25/ft), and 4 valve manifold, plus cabinet of some kind to house it in.

Search the forum, several have built systems, and learn from their mistakes, and what worked. It takes a more info and knowledge to build and size one correctly.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Aeration System Help - 09/27/17 09:31 PM
Why do you think you need aeration for the pond? Fish kills? Water quality issues? To get the best aeration advice you need two things. 1. a depth contour map of the pond. 2. A temperature profile at 1 ft intervals at various depths such as 5ft, 8ft and deepest area where locations are marked on a pond map. Ideally, the water column profile should also include dissolved oxygen (DO) measurements.
Posted By: CraigB Re: Aeration System Help - 09/28/17 01:41 PM
I will work on a depth profile this weekend. What is the best method to get the temperatures at various levels? (What kind of thermometer).
Posted By: CraigB Re: Aeration System Help - 09/28/17 01:43 PM
Yeah I keep seeing the gast compressors, seems like many folks like them.
Posted By: CraigB Re: Aeration System Help - 09/28/17 01:45 PM
No fish kills, but I just shocked and restocked in May. So at this point lots of small CNBG and unfortunately still some gar that didn't die. But I do have an algae issue.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Aeration System Help - 09/28/17 04:12 PM
On eBay, Amazon and some big box stores (maybe WMart) they sell digital thermometers with a 10 ft long corded probe. Your temperature profiles may indicate you don't need aeration in 2.5 ac with most of the pond at 6 ft and less. You may be able to do well to just aerate the 10 ft deep section. If that is the case, the Gast rotary 1/4 hp or 3/4 hp will easily mix only the pond portion that needs mechanical mixing. Don't forget to make & provide a pond map showing the depth contours.

Gar have a highly vascularated air bladder that functions slightly similar to a lung which is why the gar escaped shocked (rotenone?) treatment.
© Pond Boss Forum