Pond Boss
Posted By: bdog Stratification / build up concerns - 06/03/17 06:50 PM
I have a new pond. It was bone dry on 5/26 and I started pumping water into it and it reached full on 6/1. It is about 1/3 acre and 15' deep.

I ordered an aeration system and it will arrive and I hope to install on Monday or Tuesday the 12th or 13th. The fish truck is coming to stock it on Wednesday the 14th.

Being that this is a new pond with nothing in it and filled with well water do I need to be concerned about the gradual aeration process like a starting slowly or should I just install and let it run full blast non stop?

I hope to get the system and install it a day or two before the fish arrive just depends on the UPS man. If it arrives on time there will be nothing in the pond when I set it up but fish will be arriving the next day.
Posted By: LarryHale Re: Stratification / build up concerns - 06/03/17 09:21 PM
I'm not one of the experts on the forum but I'd say start with 15 minutes and double the time each day starting the day the fish arrive. Don't forget to allow the fish to acclimate to the water temperature in your pond before letting them out of the shipping bags. Just place the shipping bags in the pond and let the temperatures equalize.

How big is the pond (surface area and average depth) and what are you putting in it?
Posted By: bdog Re: Stratification / build up concerns - 06/03/17 11:11 PM
1/3 acre, 15 feet deep, avg depth around 5'
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Stratification / build up concerns - 06/04/17 01:04 AM
Since the pond is new and filled with well water, there is not enough organic matter present to cause a loss of dissolved oxygen and a build up of hydrogen sulfide unless the sulfide came from a sulphur well. So if the well water is odorless, then you can install the aerator and run it continuous in a newly filled pond. A new pond usually has a very low BOD (biochemical oxygen demand) and what DO is present lasts weeks.
Posted By: esshup Re: Stratification / build up concerns - 06/04/17 04:58 AM
bdog, did you get the PondLyfe 1 system?
Posted By: bdog Re: Stratification / build up concerns - 06/04/17 01:31 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
bdog, did you get the PondLyfe 1 system?

I was going back and forth between it and the Kasco and decided on the Kasco.
© Pond Boss Forum