Pond Boss
Posted By: 10x Pressure relief/safety valves? - 12/03/15 01:06 PM
Just looking for a safety measure to keep my pump safe if the line should plug for whatever reason (like ice).

I have searched a bit looking for a low pressure safety valve/pressure relief but there doesn't seem to be much out there. My system normally runs about 9 or 10 PSI with all diffusers on. A bit higher when I run just one for this winter so I added an extra line to act as a "bubbler" with no diffuser just stuck down in the water to let the pump run easier by bleeding a bit of pressure off.

What pressure setting would you buy and where can I find it? It would need 1/4 NPT for the easiest plumbing. Searches have turned up a couple but generally there isn't much in the low range that I have found and most have had mixed reviews on quality.

Thanks,
Dan
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Pressure relief/safety valves? - 12/03/15 01:15 PM
Are you using a rotary, or a reciprocating compressor?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Pressure relief/safety valves? - 12/03/15 01:17 PM
FWIW I have a Gast 75R (rocking piston) and I have this:

http://store.airmaxeco.com/product/airma...on-system-parts
Posted By: 10x Re: Pressure relief/safety valves? - 12/03/15 01:25 PM
Pump is a Gast 23 Series oilless rotary vane.

Bill - do you know what pressure that relief is? Their site didn't say.
Posted By: 10x Re: Pressure relief/safety valves? - 12/03/15 01:26 PM
Just found it - 25 PSI

That seems a bit high? Was thinking it should be no more than 18-20 but trust your advice.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Pressure relief/safety valves? - 12/03/15 01:33 PM
I suspect 25 psi is too high for rotary vane and don't want to steer you wrong. Hopefully, Sprkplug or someone else with rotary vane experience will chime in.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Pressure relief/safety valves? - 12/03/15 03:50 PM
I'm not totally convinced it's necessary, but here is what I have in mind.

http://www.gastmfg.com/product_detail.aspx?ProductID=169&ProductTypeID=41
Posted By: Rainman Re: Pressure relief/safety valves? - 12/03/15 03:51 PM
Bill Cody will know for sure, but I'd suggest 15 psi.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Pressure relief/safety valves? - 12/03/15 04:06 PM
For the rotary vanes I suggest the pop off to be at 15psi. The adjustable psi ones I have from Gast are preset for 15psi & will weep a little air a few pounds before full pop off.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Pressure relief/safety valves? - 12/03/15 04:15 PM
Yep, low pressure relief valves often weep a little. You can get units that will seal better at low psi, but the finer the tolerance the more you will pay.
Posted By: 10x Re: Pressure relief/safety valves? - 12/03/15 04:39 PM
Thanks for the info - just ordered a Gast AA205 relief valve 2-25 PSI and figure I will set it while the diffusers are running for a bit higher than they require.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Pressure relief/safety valves? - 12/04/15 02:04 AM
To best way to set the adjustable relief valve is have an air pressure gauge on the air manifold, and block all air coming out of the compressor. Air will escape thru the relief valve. Then tighten or loosen the threaded part until you get the desired psi.
© Pond Boss Forum