Pond Boss
Posted By: chrissnow I think I am finally going to aerate - 06/20/15 06:09 PM
After several years and many different projects I think I am finally going to get the aeration to the pond. I researched on here for a while but I am just looking for feed back. My pond is around 3/4 acre kidney bean shape, with max depth of 14 feet when completely full. I have been looking at the gast 0523 pumps and just started looking at the thomas 2660 as they seem to be able to be bought cheaper than the gast (on ebay). My run will be about 117 feet from the pump to where I will connect to the weighted tube. I am planning on running a 3/4 in line to the weighted tube and either a 3/8 or 1/2 weighted line, no more than 100 feet, I will probably buy 100 feet just for movement flexibility. with either a single or dual vertex diffuser.

I guess my main question is, will I need 1 or 2 diffussers and is my line sizing ok. Thanks
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: I think I am finally going to aerate - 06/20/15 06:49 PM
Two diffusers will mix and turnover the pond quicker thus in Ohio if done correctly the pump could rest 8 to 16hr per day. Use 1/2 airline to the diffusers instead of 3/8. 3/8" airline will put undue back pressure on the pump.
Posted By: chrissnow Re: I think I am finally going to aerate - 06/20/15 07:54 PM
Ok Thanks, I figured the 1/2 would be better just trying to save a little money lol. I just ordered the line and the 2 diffusers. Will be trolling ebay for a pump now. Hopefully a thomas 2660 will work for my setup. I've seen the 2450 are even cheaper.
Posted By: chrissnow Re: I think I am finally going to aerate - 06/26/15 09:19 PM
Got my diffusser and weighted air line this week, also bit the bullet and bought the thomas 2660, little sucker puts out some air for just plugging it in. now to get all the fittings and intake filter.
Posted By: dg84s Re: I think I am finally going to aerate - 06/26/15 11:12 PM
Just a reminder or two:
Use a one-way valve to prevent backflow.
Also use a filter on the pump inlet, especially if it will reside in a dusty location.
Maybe a pressure gauge on the pump to help diagnose any future airflow issues.
Use a simple pvc manifold where you connect pvc to weighted air line to balance air outflow to diffusers.
Good luck and happy aeration!
Posted By: chrissnow Re: I think I am finally going to aerate - 06/27/15 01:03 PM
Thank you for the reminder, getting parts list together to run to the supply store today.
Posted By: chrissnow Re: I think I am finally going to aerate - 06/28/15 08:17 PM
I am up and running, One more question, I have read about the start up procedure, and with me being in ohio seems like most people say to run it at night, but would it hurt anything to do my startup procedure during the day, then switch it over to night. Only reason I ask is I work out of town and the wife will be home, be easier for her to monitor it during the day instead of night. thanks again
Posted By: sprkplug Re: I think I am finally going to aerate - 06/28/15 08:27 PM
I don't think it would hurt anything. At least not if the startup procedure was adequate to turn the entire BOW, and the interval between finishing the startup and switching to nighttime aeration was a short one.
Posted By: chrissnow Re: I think I am finally going to aerate - 06/28/15 09:28 PM
Ok cool, Yea I was planning on starting with 15 min then doubling up until 4 hrs then mabye going to 5 or 6 up until 8. thanks again
Posted By: chrissnow Re: I think I am finally going to aerate - 07/03/15 12:13 PM
Well everything is going good so far 6 days now, should be up to 4 hours today run time, I noticed I do have a little more algae (I think, need to compare it to pictures) on the surface than before.
Posted By: chrissnow Re: I think I am finally going to aerate - 07/03/15 11:24 PM
What would be a good bacteria source to put in now, I used koenders natures pond conditioner last year, but didn't have an aerator then. Just looking for other options. thanks
Posted By: chrissnow Re: I think I am finally going to aerate - 07/04/15 11:57 AM
Here is my boil
[img:center][/img]
Posted By: esshup Re: I think I am finally going to aerate - 07/06/15 03:57 AM
Originally Posted By: chrissnow
What would be a good bacteria source to put in now, I used koenders natures pond conditioner last year, but didn't have an aerator then. Just looking for other options. thanks

http://teamaquafix.com/
Posted By: chrissnow Re: I think I am finally going to aerate - 07/06/15 02:02 PM
Thanks esshup, I will look into them.
Posted By: RC51 Re: I think I am finally going to aerate - 07/06/15 02:26 PM

I like C-Flo used it for 3 years now. It's a slow process but I believe it's working. I can now step in spots that were 8 inches deep in mud and now there like 2 to 3 inches.

I use 2 bags a year. 1 in spring and one in fall.

1, 1 pound bag treats about 1 acre.

Check em out.

RC

Posted By: chrissnow Re: I think I am finally going to aerate - 07/06/15 03:09 PM
Originally Posted By: RC51

I like C-Flo used it for 3 years now. It's a slow process but I believe it's working. I can now step in spots that were 8 inches deep in mud and now there like 2 to 3 inches.

I use 2 bags a year. 1 in spring and one in fall.

1, 1 pound bag treats about 1 acre.

Check em out.

RC

Thanks RC51, I will look into them as well.
Posted By: chrissnow Re: I think I am finally going to aerate - 07/06/15 08:57 PM
I did switch it over to nights last night, turning on at 8pm and off at 4 am, that way we can see it running before bed.
Posted By: chrissnow Re: I think I am finally going to aerate - 07/12/15 01:31 PM
Just go my pressure gauge installed, I am running 2 vertex diffusors, 170' of 3/4 line to 100' 1/2 weighted with a thomas 2660 pump and it shows around 7.5 psi is this good or bad?
Posted By: esshup Re: I think I am finally going to aerate - 07/12/15 04:57 PM
If they are in the deepest part of the pond, and it's full, that is what the psi should be reading.
Posted By: chrissnow Re: I think I am finally going to aerate - 07/12/15 04:58 PM
Thanks, It is at the deepest I think, and the pond is maybe 1 foot below full, I was going to swim out today and check, I cut my rope to 10 foot so I could use it as a measuring tool. lol
Posted By: chrissnow Re: I think I am finally going to aerate - 08/30/15 03:38 PM
so being from ohio when do I need to start backing off the aeration?
Posted By: sprkplug Re: I think I am finally going to aerate - 08/30/15 04:00 PM
I usually stop aerating around the same time I stop feeding. Say 50-55 degrees water temps. Then I move the diffusers to shallow water to prepare for winter aeration. I don't have a hard and fast rule in that regard however, and tend to play it by ear most times.
Posted By: chrissnow Re: I think I am finally going to aerate - 08/30/15 04:14 PM
ok thanks, My problem is going to be moving it if I wait to long I dont have a boat lol, guess I need to buy one if I am going to have a pond.
© Pond Boss Forum