Pond Boss
Looking to get my aeration system together and looking for advice. I currently have a 1/4 acre pond w/max depth of 8'. This fall will be digging another 1/4 acre with depth of 18' and cleaning up current pond. I want to do a DIY aeration system. The pump choices I am leaning towards are the Gast and Teich-Aire.

My questions are: Which pump would one recommend over the other and why? What size (hp) pump of either brand would you suggest and how many diffusers per pond to turn the water. My thoughts are a 1/4hp of either pump and (1) 9" EDI FlexAir in each pond. But this is all on just the reading I have done.

Suggestions, Advice?

Thank you in advance.

Duane

Attached picture POND.jpg
I think 18' deep will be pushing it for a vain pump to go full depth.
Charger, what part of Michigan are you in? Another member is looking for pond builders and I thought you might be able to help since you are planning to build one yourself.
The main benefit of rocking piston pumps is for ponds greater than 18ft deep. At 18ft with a rotary vane get the diffuser off the bottom on some sort of stand 12"-24". Both (1/4-1/3hp) dual head rocking piston and rotary vane produce similar amounts of cfm. Rotary vane is easier and simpler to rebuild. Rocking piston is often slightly more retail cost.
Has anyone tried to use pipe as a diffuser. I am thinking about trying to use 1/2"pvc for a diffuser I would use 5' sections of rigid pipe between 10' sections of pvc with holes drilled in it.should I use different size holes from the start to the end to allow for the different pressure because of depth change.
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Charger, what part of Michigan are you in? Another member is looking for pond builders and I thought you might be able to help since you are planning to build one yourself.

We live in Deerfield Township but mailing address is North Branch. This person was recommended by another person in our area and price quote didn't seem to bad. Good or bad, we didn't really get any other quotes. YMMV.....

http://www.pondexperts.com/
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
The main benefit of rocking piston pumps is for ponds greater than 18ft deep. At 18ft with a rotary vane get the diffuser off the bottom on some sort of stand 12"-24". Both (1/4-1/3hp) dual head rocking piston and rotary vane produce similar amounts of cfm. Rotary vane is easier and simpler to rebuild. Rocking piston is often slightly more retail cost.

Bill

Gave you a call and PM'd you but didn't get any response. Would still like to chat with you if at all possible.
I answered your PM and replied with an email. I'm pretty busy to chat on the phone. Try calling again until you catch me in the lab.
Originally Posted By: Chargerdude70
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek

We live in Deerfield Township but mailing address is North Branch. This person was recommended by another person in our area and price quote didn't seem to bad. Good or bad, we didn't really get any other quotes. YMMV.....

http://www.pondexperts.com/

Wow followed the link and thought the name was familiar. His dad dug our pond 30+ years ago. If his son is anywhere as good which I'm sure he is, you will be well pleased....
It has also been mentioned that the rotary vanes produce a lot of heat for the production of air - friction being the cause due to the vanes being forced out centrifugally in dry contact with the housing.

© Pond Boss Forum