Pond Boss
Posted By: heliguy02 Thomas pump aeration question - 03/10/15 01:31 AM
Hello,
I was wondering if I can run my Thomas 2450 series pump through a tank with a pressure switch (like 3 gallon air compressor tank) then out to the diffusers?
I was running my aeration system this way with a 3 gallon air compressor, until it finally burned up the compressor, It would run until it filled up the tank (100 Psi) then I had it regulated to 15 psi out to the diffuser. This way the air compressor didn't have to run much. It ran for over a year before it burned up.
Now I have a Thomas 2450 pump that is probably designed to run continuously without the reservoir tank, but it seems like it would save electric if it cycled. I would wire it up through the pressure switch (on at 60 psi and off at 100 psi) Just wanted to make sure it would not hurt the pump because it would be pushing against the 100 psi in the tank instead of just pushing air directly out to the diffuser.
Anyone have any thought on this?
Thanks,
Tony
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Thomas pump aeration question - 03/10/15 01:40 AM
FWIW IMHO In general, continous running is far easier on an electric motor than cycling.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Thomas pump aeration question - 03/10/15 02:07 PM
The standard compressors used for aeration have good start switches and with motors that seem to last a along time running with daily on off cycles. On/off once a day is a whole lot easier on a motor compared to numerous on/off cycles daily. For pond aeration, I've had many standard rotary vane compressors for clients (1/3-1/4hp) operating on/off once daily for motor life going on 23yrs. The one in my garage is on its 18th yr and still on the first set of carbon vanes. It does not surprise me that your 3 gallon system lasted only one yr. Make that a 200-300 gallon air tank instead of a 3 gallon tank from an old bottled LP gas tank and the compressor would last longer.
Posted By: DNickolaus Re: Thomas pump aeration question - 03/10/15 04:01 PM
Thomas 2450 is rated to 30 psi max. It can't get up to the pressures you're talking about. It would deadhead and fry something if you tried, or pop a thermal breaker if you're lucky.

Do a google on inrush current if you like. The startup current draw on an AC motor is high compared to steady state. Motor will be happiest if you leave it loafing all the time at constant load. I think of my V8 turning 2000 RPM at 80 mph on the highway. It is not being stressed and will do it all day long. A 4 cyl turning more RPM and shifting down every hill because it doesn't have the torque is working a lot harder.
Posted By: heliguy02 Re: Thomas pump aeration question - 03/13/15 04:08 PM
Sounds good, I will run it without a tank. Thanks everybody for your input.
Tony
© Pond Boss Forum