Pond Boss
Posted By: Teresa new aeration system in - 06/18/07 04:24 PM
Wow, that aeration system creates quite a stink. Nasty. The water churning looks like tea. Horrible stuff. I can't wait for the water to get right.

A big thanks to Ted Lea Forevergreen and his peeps.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: new aeration system in - 06/19/07 12:47 PM
Sounds like some anaerobic decompostion by-products are coming up. Are you using a gradual startup schedule?
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: new aeration system in - 06/20/07 06:32 AM
hi teresa, theo is right on with his question. i'm sure ted told you all this but i'll mention here for reference.

in a pond with alot of muck build-up, if you just installed it, started it up and left it going, you could potentially kill your fish with all those nasty things being churned up.

the recommended guidelines/procedure is to run it about a 1/2 hr the first time, an hour the next day, two hours the following day......etc. until yer where you want to be on runtime.

if i were you i'd turn it off, let the pond sit a couple/three days, and re-start following guidelines. that should help....good luck.
Posted By: Teresa Re: new aeration system in - 06/20/07 07:41 PM
Yes, I am following the gradual start-up. I started with 15 minutes though. Each time I start it up it stinks. The pond is only 3 years old.........but sits under a lot of trees. We have taken out a lot of limbs. The leaves are a bit tough to get at.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: new aeration system in - 06/20/07 08:24 PM
Keep up the gradual start-up. A slower-than-usual time increase schedule may be warranted - with a lot of trees around, I bet it has built up a pretty good organics load in only three years. Hence the odors.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: new aeration system in - 06/20/07 09:03 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Theo Gallus:
Keep up the gradual start-up. A slower-than-usual time increase schedule may be warranted - with a lot of trees around, I bet it has built up a pretty good organics load in only three years. Hence the odors.
I cant tell what kind of trees you have around it. You need to have the water checked. If you have some pines, it may be high in acidity.
Posted By: Teresa Re: new aeration system in - 06/20/07 10:17 PM
a lot of oaks. Pines in the yard, but not hanging over the pond. The needles could wash in though.

I haven't had the water tested by a pro. Just my little kit. Says the ph is low and the alkalinity is low. I have been slowly adding lime. Maybe too slow. Nothing changes on the reading. I even tested the tap water to make sure the thing works. yup, tap water is just perfect...pond water has acid indigestion.

I'll go slow on the start up. I was to run it two hours this am. did 1 1/2 instead. Just to be cautious. And I'm a big girly girl and don't want to kill anything....
Posted By: Ted Lea FOREVERGREEN Re: new aeration system in - 06/20/07 10:52 PM
Do get the PH and alkalinity tested and corrected to maximize on everything else your doing right, Good Luck, Hope those little cats are OK, Ted
Posted By: Teresa Re: new aeration system in - 06/21/07 02:42 PM
Thanks Ted, the cats are fine. All our "junk" fish are doing well. I am going to look into the county extensions today and see about a professional water testing.
© Pond Boss Forum