Pond Boss
Hello All!

I am starting to install my pump and I have a question? My Gast rotary vain compressor has two thumb hole screws that open and inside there are two filters. One on the intake and one on the output side. They are black and fuzzy. What do they do and should I do to them? Do they need to be changed often or left alone?Thanks!?
Posted By: george Re: Black filters on rotary Vain compressor? - 04/13/07 01:24 PM
salth2ocowboy, the only thing I do with mine annualy, is to chage out the O rings.
The out-put O ring is usually cracked due to heat generated.

The filters are still clean after near 5 years of service, thanks to Bill Cody for installing a large external air filter.

Hope this helps.
george
Salt, George is correct. They typically have no use in the application of a pond aeration system. They are to collect any particulates that pass through the external filter.

The only problem we have had with maintaing them in the past is as George mentioned, cracked o-rings and possibly with them breaking when you remove them for the vane maintenance. If that happens, Bill Cody may carry the replacements. If not get back with me and I can help you there.
The internal "fuzzy" filter on the outlet port is to catch or trap and collect the carbon dust from abrasion of the vanes before it leaves in the air out the pump. If you have a good external filter the internal INTAKE filter will stay clean whereas the internal OUTLET filter will collect small amounts of carbon dust over time. I usually (annually) just lightly tap the dust out of it and replace it. Rebuild kits contain new internal filters, O rings, vanes and a new head gasket. Engineers at GAST tell me the carbon dust acts as a lubricant for the vanes and rotor.
Bill,

I think that was a very clear answer and not "Fuzzy" at all.
© Pond Boss Forum