Pond Boss
Posted By: JKB Quick question for the Suppliers... - 06/08/12 09:21 PM
Any compressors available in 230VAC, 3 phase flavor that can be run from a sensorless vector drive? (VFD)

Frequencies would fall in the range of 0-400Hz, but would have threshold limits on both ends, with ramp up/down, gradually changing in 5 to 10 second to desired speed/output.

Posted By: gallop Re: Quick question for the Suppliers... - 06/08/12 09:42 PM
Yes but the sensorless vector drive only works
Through a flux capacitor

It amazes me the things I know nothing about
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: Quick question for the Suppliers... - 06/08/12 10:03 PM
JB - your question gave me pause to reflect and remember a standardized response that I learned in ROTC. "Sir, I hesitate to articulate for fear that I may deviate from the true course of rectitude. In short, sir, I am a very dumb fish and do not know, sir!".
Hmmm. I thought Vector was Victor's twin brother.
Move over Gallop; you've got company.....
Posted By: JKB Re: Quick question for the Suppliers... - 06/08/12 10:04 PM
Originally Posted By: gallop
Yes but the sensorless vector drive only works
Through a flux capacitor

I have that part figured out laugh

It is a real question tho, with control, output and energy savings in mind. High efficiency, and low drain on the wallet for run time.
Posted By: JKB Re: Quick question for the Suppliers... - 06/08/12 10:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Kelly Duffie
JB - your question gave me pause to reflect and remember a standardized response that I learned in ROTC. "Sir, I hesitate to articulate for fear that I may deviate from the true course of rectitude. In short, sir, I am a very dumb fish and do not know, sir!".
Hmmm. I thought Vector was Victor's twin brother.
Move over Gallop; you've got company.....

Not sure if you are pulling my leg or not. I would have thought that VFD's would have crossed your desk at one point or another.
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: Quick question for the Suppliers... - 06/09/12 04:32 AM
Originally Posted By: JKB
Not sure if you are pulling my leg or not. I would have thought that VFD's would have crossed your desk at one point or another.
Oh yea, I went to Otterbine's training-school in PA a few years ago. Lots of hands-on stuff with 230VAC/3-phase fountain motors - and very interesting (except no VFDs). But, the electrical lingo just didn't stick between my ears. Guess I'm more of an organic chemistry type of guy.

Posted By: JKB Re: Quick question for the Suppliers... - 06/09/12 09:36 AM
Looks interesting Kelly.

What would be a good brand of compressor?
Something that is very reliable. Maybe they have something I could swap the motor out and put on a premium efficient one.

I have no experience with these types of compressors so I am really not sure how reliable different types are.

I have a regenerative blower (ring compressor), but that is way too big and noisy for my application.

The reason for the 3 phase, is that 3 phase motors are much more energy efficient than single phase. Plus they are initially cheaper.

As an example: I have a Little Giant 1/2 hp mag drive pump. Single phase, it is 835 watts. Swapping the motor to a 3 phase, it drops to 352 watts. Keeps more money in my pocket, rather than shelling it out every month to the utility company. That's pretty substantial.

One problem tho. I only have single phase service, thus the need for the motor to be able to run with a VFD.

I have a test setup with pic's. Not sure if anyone is interested, because it get's a bit technical.

Saving money thru energy efficiency is my goal, and motors are a big way to do that.
© Pond Boss Forum