Pond Boss
Posted By: theridge weighting hose - 11/29/11 01:19 AM
I have a system with non weighted hose, is there a easy DIY weigh of weighting the hose? PVC pipe, rocks what can I do?
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: weighting hose - 11/29/11 01:21 AM
The cheap way (which I have) is to fill a garden hose with sand and zip tie it to the air line.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: weighting hose - 11/29/11 01:42 AM
Zip tie rebar to the hose. Doesn't have to be the entire length.You can get it cheaply from any building supply store.
Posted By: Brad Vollmar Re: weighting hose - 11/29/11 02:43 AM
Let me start by saying I hate non-weighted tubing, but I have done some system maintenance on some systems that had non weighted tubing. The best way I have seen it weighted down was with zip ties and regular 5 hole house bricks.
Posted By: Bing Re: weighting hose - 11/29/11 02:47 AM
As Cecil indicated the rebar zip tied to the unweighted hose works well. I bought my rebar as 24 inch surveyors stakes. I don't remember how far apart I put them, I just experimented with the spacing as I sunk them. However, after a few years I replaced the old hose with weighted hose. If you have the $$$ that is definitely the best way to go.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: weighting hose - 11/29/11 03:31 AM
Agreed! If you can go with the weighted hose it's the way to go. Weighing down hose whatever method you chose is a PITA.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: weighting hose - 11/29/11 04:27 PM
From experience, if you use 1/2" black poly pipe (5/8" ID) or other light weight tubing it usually takes 0.5 lb of weight per ft of hose. 100 ft of weighted 5/8" ID hose weighs 50 lbs. I've seen the following used for weight: chain, welding cable, stranded cable, larger ID poly pipe filled with sand and the ends melted together. If sand filled garden hose is used it is better if it has small holes in the hose to let water inside to displace the air in the sand. Some have more time than money thus the desire for homemade weighted hose.
Posted By: esshup Re: weighting hose - 11/29/11 05:01 PM
I've used rebar, lead weights and pipe tied to unweighted hose. I've since switched to self-weighted hose for all my applications. It lays along the bottom of the pond and I have never snagged the self weighted hose like the unweighted hose, even with weights tied to it.

I'll use unweighted hose above the waterline, but switch to the self-weighted hose at or close to the water line.
Posted By: blair5002 Re: weighting hose - 11/29/11 08:11 PM
I agree with esshup self sinking line is easy to handle and trouble free. I have done the poly line with weights and I don't ever want to go back to that. My $0 .02
Posted By: Brad Vollmar Re: weighting hose - 11/30/11 02:44 AM
What I have seen with weighing down non weighted tubing is the weights can shift and then you will get a portion floating on the top.

Weighted tubing is well worth the money!
Posted By: wigwam Re: weighting hose - 12/12/11 06:27 PM
I used some 5 lb plastic coated barbell weights with a wad of duct tape on both sides of the airline to prevent movement. I still use this set-up for my fountain wire in plastic tubing to protect the wire from muskrats. As stated, the weighted hose is king! I move my diffusers during the winter months around my docks with no more worries of kinking.
Posted By: scruffy_fish Re: weighting hose - 12/15/11 01:08 AM
I agree with AP, sand filled hose attached with zip ties to the air line. I bought twice the lenght of air line need and filled half with sand and it worked out fine.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: weighting hose - 12/15/11 01:46 PM
Originally Posted By: scruffy_fish
I agree with AP, sand filled hose attached with zip ties to the air line.

Scruffy agreeing with me can be hazardous. grin

How is your pond doing, did the trout and PS,s survive the summer?
© Pond Boss Forum