Pond Boss
Posted By: redbank Location of diffuser - 07/24/11 12:04 AM
Hello all,
I have a windmill aerator in my 3/4 acre pond. The question I have is about the location of my diffuser. It is sort of at the "left end" of the teardrop shaped pond, towards my overflow. The natural current would seem to keep the oxygen at that end. Is this the case? Or does the O2 just get around?
Also, how much does swimming help with O2 and the mixing of the water in these dog days that most of us are having right now (does it have a lasting effect).
Thanks,
Posted By: straw Re: Location of diffuser - 07/24/11 01:54 AM
Redbank,

I'm not an expert by any means, those more experienced will chime in...but don't think of the aeration as "directly" putting oxygen in the water right at the diffuser - it's just pushing water off the bottom to the top, where it gets oxygenated and cycled.

Generally you are going to want to have your diffuser at the deepest location in the pond - that is where it will do the most good.

In regards to swimming...it probably won't make a tremendous difference (depending maybe on how deep it is?) but it's not going to hurt.

Straw
Posted By: esshup Re: Location of diffuser - 07/24/11 02:53 AM
What he said. grin

In the winter, if you still have the aerator running, it should be moved to roughly 1/3 to 1/4 the max water depth in the pond to avoid supercooling the water.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Location of diffuser - 07/25/11 06:27 PM
Does swiming help with D.O.? I am gonna go out on a limb here and say not a bunch. Kids splashing in the water does help a little maybe as they splash water in the air but not enough to make a difference I don't think.
© Pond Boss Forum