Pond Boss
Posted By: straw manifold setup question - 07/15/11 01:34 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of replacing my current aeration setup with a new and improved model. The first part is configuring my new pump (Thomas 2660) with a manifold that has a muffler/silencer, pressure gauge, pop valve, and 3 valves for airline.

I did some "shopping" on grainger last night and priced out all the pieces I'd need to configure the pump how I need it. Right now, my pump has 2 outputs - one that has an airline barb and the other with a pressure relief valve. My plan is to put a 1/4" NPT tee fitting where the PR valve currently is, and tee it out to the 30psi gauge and the PR valve. The intake line gets a new silencer/filter.

For the manifold, my plan is 2 elbow fittings together to bring the manifold above the pump, then a couple tee fittings and an elbow joint. Everything will have a ball valve on it to adjust flow as required.

Is it OK to use all 1/4" NPT fittings? Or should I be looking to get a larger size connectors? I plan to use at least 1/2" airline off the valves, but is it a problem to have all 1/4" NPT fittings connected to it at the pump?

Thanks!

Straw
Posted By: esshup Re: manifold setup question - 07/15/11 02:11 PM
If I was doing it, I'd bump up the size asap. The less restrictions there are, the better, especially with small bends and 90's.
Posted By: straw Re: manifold setup question - 07/15/11 02:21 PM
Thanks esshup. What would you suggest I bump it up to?
Posted By: esshup Re: manifold setup question - 07/15/11 03:31 PM
I'd go to 1/2 asap and reduce it down for the gauge if necessary. The less pressure there is on the whole system, the longer the compressor will last, even tho the compressor will be rated for "x" pressure.
Posted By: FlashGordon Re: manifold setup question - 08/02/11 02:48 AM
Straw,

I just received a 2660 in the mail but it is the cheap one from e-bay. It does not have any fittings on the ports and I am trying to figure out which is which.

The ports are labeled A,B,C,D,E,F, G,H. H is not drilled out.
Can you fill in what each port is supposed to do?

Ed S
Posted By: WaterWizard Re: manifold setup question - 08/02/11 07:07 PM
Flash,

Plug it in. The intake will suck and the exhaust will blow. Ours come with only two ports that are open. One intake, one exhaust. I don't know why there would be more than two ports.

Also Straw, you could always build your manifold at the pond edge rather than at the compressor. I like the pond edge better because you can see the bubble pattern as you adjust the valves.
© Pond Boss Forum