Pond Boss
Posted By: Fullpond Aeration Questions - 04/15/11 10:50 PM
First of all congrats to a very informative site that is full of great tips and some great links. Now to pond details. I have about a 2 acre pond that has established fish. The pond was new about 7 years ago. It is teardrop shaped. The basin near the dam is 14 to 18 ft. deep (about 1/4 of the pond). The tailwaters (about 1/4) is from 4 ft on down to shore. The middle 1/2 has a lot of structure (submerged islands, rock piles, and sunken cedar trees). The middle is mostly 8 to 9 ft deep. The fish stocked were LM Bass, Bluegill, Crappie were not stocked but are in there. And 80 Walleye were added fall of 09 and are about 13 inches long. The ratio is good. We are harvesting the bluegill that are over 9 in. All the crappie caught are being kept(they are all 12 to 14") the bass are catch and release and the walleye will be put and take with 40 9"ers added each year. The pond drains about 250 acres. I have a silt pond above it to slow runoff and to aid in silt deposits.
I would like to install a aerator and have purchased RC51's setup with 4 diffusers. My thoughts were to set up two seperate
areas with 2 diffusers each and with a valve I could run them seperate or one in summer and one in winter. My question is how deep should they be placed and would it matter if they were 50 to 75 ft from a feeder. My goal is to increase holding capacity and algea control. Right now I have a great fishery,
all classes of bluegill and bass (there are some pigs) the walleye are healthy the crappie are few (hope it stays that way) but are nice sized.
Up until now it has been dumb luck to have things as good as they are. I hope I am not trying to fix something that is not broken. Any advice is appreciated.
Posted By: roadjoker22 Re: Aeration Questions - 04/17/11 05:00 PM
Fullpond, I have the same system except i am running 2 diffuser banks with 3 diffusers on each. one in 15 foot of water and one 5 foot below my dock on stainless steel cable (keep the ice fromk forming around the dock in the winter). I have a set a valves in my compressor box on my dock to control the air-flow to each set of diffusers. From what I was told and gathered on my own is that you want to run the summer diffusers in the deepest part of the lake and the winter diffusers in 1/3 off your deepest spot. Just make sure you do the propper start up on the aeration sytem to get your fish use to it
© Pond Boss Forum