Pond Boss
Posted By: RC51 Diffuser project completed - 07/30/10 02:28 AM
Ok well I finished my do it yourself diffuser. I was a little worried at first about how it would work. I put it all together though and put it in my 150 gallon tank and tested it with a 10 foot hose by blowing into it slowly. Wow I was impressed all 3 fusers went off at the same time and I had bubbles everywhere. Now I just have to take it out and test it on the pump I have. Material used for project.

1/2 inch pvc pipe for the main pipe. 3/4 inch elbows to the diffusers.

I used a computer panel for the plate and drilled holes in it and zipped stripped the pvc pipe to it.

I drilled 4 bigger holes in it for hooks and then I put a hanger on each side and then twised them together. I then put a large zip strip between the hangers so I can put a rope through it and lower in the pond.

The very bottom under the computer panel is from a printer rack it will keep the panel off the bottom of the muck about 3 inches.

The last picture shows extra weight (bricks) I put in the middle of the hangers to help keep the station on the bottom on the pond. I will be putting it in Saturday I will let you all know how it goes.

Attached picture Diffuser1.jpg
Attached picture Diffuser2.jpg
Attached picture Diffuser3.jpg
Attached picture Diffuser4.jpg
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Diffuser project completed - 07/30/10 02:31 AM
Nice looking setup, RC. Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together for you in the water.
Posted By: pullo Re: Diffuser project completed - 07/30/10 05:09 PM
Nice work! I made my own as well, I used a 16 x 16 ceramic tiles as the base though, works very good. You might want to zip tie the wieght to the base. I remember when I installed my pods they took a little bit of up & down before I got them to sit flat.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Diffuser project completed - 07/30/10 07:44 PM
Hey Pullo since those pictures I have decided to do just that. I actually changed out the bricks for 4 inch round steel barings with holes in them so I can zip tie them. I am going to put 4 of them on the plate one at each corner. I hope that works. I never thoght about using a large tile very cool idea!!

I'll post pics once I have it up and running and all goes well. I hope anyway!! smile
Posted By: Ted Lea FOREVERGREEN Re: Diffuser project completed - 07/30/10 08:04 PM
Linear and diaphram and piston pumps have a slight pulsation so will constantly be tugging at those zip ties via the discs..In time they will tear where you have drilled your holes. I would clamp them down if I were going to have the plumbing on the top of the plate,in at least 4 areas.The discs will have a lot of flotation to them and your weak link may be the zips even if you have weight on top of them.If you stay with zip ties you'll find black ties will last longer than white or clear ones as the lighter ones get brittle faster.( Im letting a lot of my secrets out here) good luck smile
Posted By: RC51 Re: Diffuser project completed - 07/30/10 09:35 PM
Wow! Ted thanks for the info I will be making my final changes tonight so I appreciate your feedback now. Maybe I sould have used saftey wire instead of the zip ties? I will make some changes tonight with your considerations in mind. I did not know that about black zip ties either.

thanks a bunch!!
© Pond Boss Forum