Pond Boss
Posted By: Makoclay Areation Side Effect - 07/27/10 11:39 PM
In August 2009 I had what I thought was an oxygen problem. I am confident that the pond flipped but I don't think that it had the devistation affect that I thought it had. Before the pond flipped, I had pretty green water with good visibility. I can't give you a scientific measurement of the color and clarity but I can just say that it was pretty and looked really nice.

After the pond flipped, I installed an areation system. My pond is 1.25 acres and is 2 years old now. From August 2009 until recently the areator ran 24/7. I have 2 difussers that are placed at either end at the deepest part of the pond which is around 7-8 feet.

Anyway, the entire time I had the areation system going the water was a murky brown color and I was unable to catch any fish. I started looking real close and I could see that the water was the most cloudy around the air plume. There was actually distinct circle about 10-15 feet from where the air plume came up so I knew it was the areator that was causing this.

2 weeks ago I turned off the areation system and now my pond is back to its old self. My water is green and now when I throw food I see my BG, HBG and Tilapia feeding. Yesterday, I caught 5 LMB in about 30 minutes. I have never done this and when my water was murky I completly stopped catching any bass.

So now I have to figure out what to do. I definately want to have some element of areation but I want to do so in a manner that won't keep the pond stirred up so I'll ask the good folks of Pond Boss on what I should do:

Question 1. What are some ideas for an inexpensive but effective deflection shield that I can put the diffusers on? I would have no issue with somehow elevating the difussers from the bottom of the pond 1-2 feet.

Question 2. What if I put a timer on the areator so that it only ran 2 hours per day around midnight every night? Is this enough? If I got a really cold rain one morning and the areator didn't start for 18 hours would it be too late to be effective?

Thanks for any and all advice!
Posted By: esshup Re: Areation Side Effect - 07/28/10 12:35 AM
I've heard of people attaching them to a milk crate to keep them up off of the bottom, and I've a single diffuser attached to a 2' x 3' piece of plastic sheet that was roughly 3/16" to 1/4" thick to help stop the mud from getting stirred up.
Posted By: Ted Lea FOREVERGREEN Re: Areation Side Effect - 07/28/10 12:50 AM
What type of stations do you currently have, How much lift is this system providing 5000 GPM for example or 1 turn per 24 hours?
© Pond Boss Forum