Pond Boss
Posted By: HeyNow^ Vertex System Cooling Fan - 07/07/09 12:18 PM
Greetings,

Long time lurker. I am installing a Vertex System Air 3 in my 2.60 acre pond. My unit has the 1/2 hp motor. I am in the start up phase and yesterday completed 8 hours. I discovered yesterday that my cooling fan is not working. I was assuming that it was a thermal fan and would kick on when needed. Needless to say, when checking the unit to shut it down, I noticed that the pump was pretty hot. I called Vertex and they are sending a new fan. My question is can I still run the unit or should I wait for the new fan? I hate to have to begin the start up phase again. I did not turn it on today since I would need to run it 16 hours today.

All of the folks on here have been very helpful, including Vertex.

Thanks in advance.

Randy
Posted By: Ted Lea FOREVERGREEN Re: Vertex System Cooling Fan - 07/07/09 01:57 PM
If you can run it with the lid open I would do it, If not wait on the cooling fan. Did you plug the fan into the motor receptacle and vice versa ?
Posted By: Ted Lea FOREVERGREEN Re: Vertex System Cooling Fan - 07/07/09 02:02 PM
One additional item, Be careful on the leap from 8- 16 hours as this is the timeframe that will probably get you to 1 full turn. The startup is just a guideline and depending on age,depth,etc may be too aggressive for a summer startup.You may need to go to 10 or 12 hours on your next increase. These items were probably covered with you already but wanted to mention it for others.
Posted By: HeyNow^ Re: Vertex System Cooling Fan - 07/07/09 02:23 PM
Ted,

Thanks for the response. I can run it with the lid open. I have not smelled any foul odors so far. Everything seems clear. I will go ahead and test the outlet by switching the motor/fan plug this evening. I'll go with the 12 hours next and move to 16 after that. Your posts have always been helpful.

Thanks!
Posted By: HeyNow^ Re: Vertex System Cooling Fan - 07/08/09 03:33 PM
Well just to close this out, I had a faulty GFI in the cabinet. Since my outlet is already protected by a GFI, Vertex said I could replace the cabinet GFI with a regular outlet to keep the two GFIs from tripping each other.

All is running. Since I was up to 8 hours but have not run the system since Monday, where should I begin back again? I was thinking 8 hours today and bump it up by 2 hours each day after that?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Vertex System Cooling Fan - 07/08/09 04:01 PM
Yep that is called nusiance tripping with two GFI's. Glad to hear you got it working. I think that is a good idea to start back at 8 hours and like Ted mentioned make sure to smell the water.
Posted By: HeyNow^ Re: Vertex System Cooling Fan - 07/08/09 04:25 PM
Thanks Greg. Appreciate your feedback!
Posted By: Sue Cruz Re: Vertex System Cooling Fan - 07/08/09 08:28 PM
Hey there HeyNow! Glad we got to the bottom of the problem!
© Pond Boss Forum