Pond Boss
Posted By: AndrewT how to pellet train brook trout fry? - 02/11/20 05:17 PM
We have a few ponds in SW Wisconsin with stocked Brook Trout. The ponds are fed by natural underground springs and are 55F year round. The trout have been naturally spawning and reproducing. The issue is that the ponds are about 100miles from where I live. I have Texas hunter feeders, and feed them Aquamax 500 and seems to do well with the trout I stocked a few years ago, but now have a population of smaller 5-6" fish that refuse to eat the pellets. I bought some of the Purina MVP to try this spring (50% sinking with multiple size pellets).

Any ideas or suggestions are helpful.

Thanks

Andrew
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: how to pellet train brook trout fry? - 02/11/20 08:33 PM
Yesss!!! Another Brook Trout guy!! That makes three of us LOL
AndrewT, you might have success feeding Optimal BG. There are plenty of smaller pellets in each toss. Those fingerling brookies have mouths big enough to eat any of the BG pellets.

Optimal BG is fine for trout.
Posted By: esshup Re: how to pellet train brook trout fry? - 03/06/20 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by 4CornersPuddle
AndrewT, you might have success feeding Optimal BG. There are plenty of smaller pellets in each toss. Those fingerling brookies have mouths big enough to eat any of the BG pellets.

Optimal BG is fine for trout.

Correct, but for the smaller trout I'd start with the Optimal Bluegill Jr. and maybe for the first month or two I would mix in some Optimal Starter #4.
© Pond Boss Forum