Pond Boss
Posted By: Quarter Acre Optimal Feed Size for Second Year - 03/26/19 02:15 PM
I am needing to get this years feed order in and was contemplating the sizes/type to get. I have HSB (up to 13 inches long), HBG and RES (up to 6 inches long). My two options...

1.) Mix 50/50 of Optimal Blue Gill(4.5mm dia cylindrical pellets) and Optimal Bass(9mm round pellets).

2.) Optimal Blue Gill(4.5mm) ONLY.

The HSB are in there to keep the HBG population in check, so I'm leaning towards catering to the HBG only with Option #2. I'm sure the HSB will get plenty of the Blue Gill feed without adding any of the bass feed to the mix.

Anybody have any convincing thoughts before I just order the smaller BG feed and leave the larger Bass feed out of the mix?
Posted By: ewest Re: Optimal Feed Size for Second Year - 03/27/19 05:35 PM
75/25 BG/LMB.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Optimal Feed Size for Second Year - 03/27/19 06:32 PM
My HSB love LMB pellets. Will chase them over the lake when the wind blows!
Posted By: ewest Re: Optimal Feed Size for Second Year - 03/28/19 08:47 PM
Optimum pellet size is 25% of gape. Your fish will be bigger this year.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Optimal Feed Size for Second Year - 03/28/19 09:02 PM
Well, my impatience got the better of me and I just ordered the Optimal Blue Gill only, for now. This 4.5mm pellet will be a good size for the gills this year, but not so much for the HSB. Optimal does not make a larger pellet size for the panfish so I guess this will have to due until the frying pan gets them. As for the HSB, they will get plenty of the smaller pellets, I'm sure. They need to stay a little hungry so that the HBG YOY still look appetizing.
Posted By: bdog Re: Optimal Feed Size for Second Year - 04/12/19 01:17 AM
I have similar size and species fish. I was feeding optimal BG. I got a bag of some bass 9mm and hand feed it. The bluegill devour it as do the HSB. When I run of the bluegill I will just buy the bass going forward.
© Pond Boss Forum