Pond Boss
Posted By: Blake Dock feeder recommendations? - 02/22/19 03:51 PM
What's a good feeder for the money? I need one on a dock, and it needs to be raccoon proof. It also needs to sit up about 3' off the dock for when the water comes up. Any suggestions?
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Dock feeder recommendations? - 02/22/19 04:32 PM
Texas Hunter Feeders get recommended a lot around PB, but the money is for serious pond meisters.

If you are feeding a small population of fish or can fill the feeder more often...I made one from an affordable deer feeder that worked very well last year for the fish and has done it's job for winter feeding of the deer for the last few years. I have no complaints other than the lid is a bit difficult to put on and off with gloves on. I think the coon-proof aspect is mostly in the hanging apparatus, but the feeder has not been broke into yet.

Here is a thread that shows the feeder in detail...

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=37369&Number=488179#Post488179

On sale for 40$ a few years ago and some pond-side engineering...

Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Dock feeder recommendations? - 02/22/19 08:07 PM
Texas Hunter Feeders also sell a feeder kit that bolts onto a container similar to what QuarterAcre shows above. Although the TH kit is probably more expensive but maybe more reliable and durable than the Moultrie feeder. I bought a TH hanging feeder that I installed on the end of my dock deck; $329 on sale now. It is well built, heavy duty, and very sturdy. I cut a hole in the end of the dock to set the feeder rather than hang it. Water at the end of the dock is 4-5ft deep. Feed drops into a floating feeding ring to help contain the feed. I will try to use QuarterAcre's homemade baffle to direct the feed outward away from under the dock. Fish don't complain about the delivery method.
https://www.texashunterproducts.com/feeder-kits/
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Dock feeder recommendations? - 02/22/19 09:51 PM
I've used multiple brands of feeders and my TH feeders have continued to operate without issue for 10 years. Worth every penny IMO - I'll never use anything else again.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Dock feeder recommendations? - 02/22/19 09:54 PM
+1 on that TJ
They work good
Posted By: cosmic_counselor Re: Dock feeder recommendations? - 03/04/19 06:31 PM
As much as I appreciate the product quality of Texas Hunter feeders, I just can't afford them! So, I use Moultree feeders, which overall have been very good. The customer service is good as well. They don't make the feeder I use anymore, but like Quarter Acre said, you can use deer feeders for fish food as long as the food isn't too big (most deer feeders work for fish food under 1/4").
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: Dock feeder recommendations? - 03/04/19 11:18 PM
I’m going to bite the bullet and buy a TH. I had decent luck with the AquaPro for a few years, but it’s shot again, and I’m on year four or five.
Posted By: NEDOC Re: Dock feeder recommendations? - 03/05/19 03:31 AM
I doubt you’ll regret it. The TH purchase has probably been the best purchase per dollar I’ve spent on my pond.
Posted By: Flame Re: Dock feeder recommendations? - 03/05/19 01:08 PM
I used a deer feeder for about a year placed out in the water. Had to paddle out to fill feeder. It worked but very inconvenient. It stung to pay TH feeder price but...I am soooo glad many people on this forum convinced me to buy it. As NEDOC stated best purchase per dollar I've spent on my pond. Mine has run every single day for near 4 years now without ANY problems. I thought I had a problem with my timer and turns out after replacing my battery I had inadvertanly set the timer wrong!! My bad. You won't regret a TH feeder.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Dock feeder recommendations? - 03/05/19 11:48 PM
Agree on TH Feeder. It also needs to be secured so hogs can't knock it over.
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: Dock feeder recommendations? - 03/06/19 05:12 PM
There’s a large TX Feeder on eBay for $450. It’s in Paducah KY. I almost bought it, but decided on the smaller unit, and bought new from Rainman.
The one on eBay looks almost new. I asked the seller why he was selling. He’s moving. Didn’t really want the 300 mile drive, but maybe it’s a bit shorter for some of you all.

Edit, He just dropped it to $300!!

Jeff
© Pond Boss Forum