Pond Boss
My little mutt pond is in a residential area with houses in close proximity to my 1.5 acre lot. The house north of me has a security light about 50 feet from my property line as well as my security light. Both are throwing at least minimal light onto the pond surface.

What I've noticed lately is that regardless of the time of day or night, there is always some level of surface feeding, but I'm really surprised at how active my panfish are at night. My LMB haven't spawned yet, so I have to attribute this to the GSF. I'm not real versed on their feeding habits, but I'm almost certain BG are daytime feeders (my understanding anyway).

There's seldom a moment when you don't see the ripples of a fish surfacing, day or night.
Mike, I've had issues with Canada Geese eating at my feeders. Bob Lusk recommended I set the timer to go off when it is dark, as the fish will still eat but the birds will not.

Haven't actually done it much, but that would imply fish will eat pellets at night.
That's interesting info!! I didn't think the panfish's eyes were able to see in the dark, but I guess they could feed by smell. LMB have both rods and cones in their eyes, one is used for seeing during the day, the other at night. I believe a panfish has only one or the other...not sure which it is. Anyway, I just thought it was an interesting observation.

They still aren't feeding on pellets like they were during the heat of summer and I seldom see any of my larger panfish. I did see both of my smaller LMB yesterday and they both appeared to be healthy. The larger one (I'm hoping female) has been MIA for some time. That's ok tho, as long as next time she makes an appearance she's sitting on a bed with either of the other two!!
I would question that it is the bluegill hitting the surface at night. When I fish the bluegill quit biting at sun set, could be some sort of bug leaving the water or maybe bass, crappie or catfish. The water in my lake is not that clear (12 to 16 inches) you may have clear water and that is the only time they can come up to feed?
BG can feed at night. They are at a disadvantage with poor night vision as compared to LMB. If the LMB are not predator size the BG will be more active at night. Keep in mind that fish have a lateral line that works as a sense and can replace/augment other senses like sight .
© Pond Boss Forum