Pond Boss
Posted By: RStringer What to feed Crappie - 11/15/18 03:13 PM
I'm looking around and not finding anyone talking about feeding crappie. I'm wanting to fattin mine up before they swim in the fryer. I have some that are getting close to 1 1/2 pounds which is pretty good for around here no wall hangers. But most are not that big. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome here.
Posted By: DrLuke Re: What to feed Crappie - 11/15/18 03:26 PM
Maybe start with this link..
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: What to feed Crappie - 11/15/18 03:29 PM
If you got the money golden shiners are good for crappie and some will survive to spawn. How big is your pond? Shad are also good if your pond is large enough and fertile.
Posted By: RStringer Re: What to feed Crappie - 11/16/18 03:36 PM
My pond is almost 1/2 acre. I'm halfway in the process of getting it closer to 3/4 acre.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: What to feed Crappie - 11/16/18 04:32 PM
You can also feed them fathead minnows. They are an easy target for most any predator. You didn’t mention what other fish you have in your pond.
Posted By: RStringer Re: What to feed Crappie - 11/28/18 08:28 PM
The pond has some bass(put in probably 15 about 7 years ago) and maybe a few cats left. I put 100 in when the pond was dug 10 years ago. I didn't know anything about ponds then besides I want one LOL. So I didn't have any structure or cover of any kind put in. I'm in the process of draining it right now. I probably wont drain it empty but I don't know if the fish in there will make it over the winter. Right now i'm trying to learn as much as I can before I get it done and filled up this time around.

PS the cats have pretty much been fished out by family and neighbor. I was feeding them til it got cold around here. There was maybe 3-5 coming up for feed then.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: What to feed Crappie - 11/28/18 09:43 PM
It could be a good thing if all the fish die at low pool over winter. Then you can start over with a brand new fishery that could be as unique as yellow perch with smallmouth bass and a few walleye as bonus fish. When you tire of that combination you can easily revert back to the BG-crappie LMB combo. You can't do the YP,SMB,WE from having your existing combination.
Posted By: RStringer Re: What to feed Crappie - 01/09/19 07:01 PM
I havn't thought about it being a good idea to let them all go. You might be on to something there anyway. Its always interesting to do a full redo.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: What to feed Crappie - 01/09/19 07:17 PM
Remaining low pool live fish after a pond enlargement could cause numerous problems with balance of fish species when pond is refilled and restocked.
Posted By: Snipe Re: What to feed Crappie - 01/09/19 07:58 PM
RStringer, we've got some very sound data in Reg 1 in KS regarding Saugeye use for controlling Crappie numbers. This particular hybrid does not reproduce and tolerates the pond environment much better than walleye. No reason why, but they prefer crappie-if available as forage and in small lakes where crappie were very hard to control, the results were larger crappie and fast growing saugeye. They will work on BG if Crappie are not present in big numbers but they are controllable by fishing them out and stocking fingerlings in small numbers every 2-3 years.
Posted By: RStringer Re: What to feed Crappie - 01/09/19 08:24 PM
Are saugeye good eating. I don't even know what one looks like to be honest.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: What to feed Crappie - 01/09/19 08:32 PM
A saugeye is a sterile hybrid of walleye and sauger. Unless you are familiar with the differences, you would probably call them a walleye if you caught one. I've read great things about them but never found a fish farm that sells them.
Posted By: Snipe Re: What to feed Crappie - 01/09/19 09:47 PM
Bill D, I have 2 sources available for Saugeye. One is very limited in Number and only every other year, which once started every other year provides a structure that is very fitting to control large year class recruitment of crappie and an obvious class suitable for the table.
The other source is low number but available every year. I'm going to be transporting some the second week in June to a couple of locations in east central KS and I can haul about 1,000 3-4" fish.
I've got about 400 lined up now, I'd be willing to help anyone else out if needed, we could discuss via PM how far I may be willing to go.
Posted By: Snipe Re: What to feed Crappie - 01/09/19 10:03 PM
https://imgur.com/VjDaB2w

See if this works..
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: What to feed Crappie - 01/10/19 12:26 AM
There have been a few published reports that found reproduction by saugeye so they not entirely sterile. However it is very doubtful they would spawn in a pond or most small lakes.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/species-and-habitats/species-guide-index/fish/saugeye

Impact of Introduction: In Normandy Reservoir, Tennessee, saugeye have been reproducing with each other and backcrossing with walleye, compromising the genetic integrity of the natural walleye population. Walleye require specific habitat conditions for spawning and are often displaced by saugeye spawning in the same area. High numbers of saugeye could reduce populations of other gamefish (centrarchids) from which they readily consume (Fiss et al. 1997).
https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.aspx?SpeciesID=829
Posted By: Bill D. Re: What to feed Crappie - 01/10/19 01:17 AM
Originally Posted By: Snipe
Bill D, I have 2 sources available for Saugeye. One is very limited in Number and only every other year, which once started every other year provides a structure that is very fitting to control large year class recruitment of crappie and an obvious class suitable for the table.
The other source is low number but available every year. I'm going to be transporting some the second week in June to a couple of locations in east central KS and I can haul about 1,000 3-4" fish.
I've got about 400 lined up now, I'd be willing to help anyone else out if needed, we could discuss via PM how far I may be willing to go.

Maybe one of the forum members from Kansas will take you up on it. I would think those little guys would grow like gangbusters in a grow out pond already full of FHM and GSH. Great way to fill a freezer with excellent table fare!
Posted By: Snipe Re: What to feed Crappie - 01/10/19 02:39 AM
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
There have been a few published reports that found reproduction by saugeye so they not entirely sterile. However it is very doubtful they would spawn in a pond or most small lakes.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/species-and-habitats/species-guide-index/fish/saugeye

Impact of Introduction: In Normandy Reservoir, Tennessee, saugeye have been reproducing with each other and backcrossing with walleye, compromising the genetic integrity of the natural walleye population. Walleye require specific habitat conditions for spawning and are often displaced by saugeye spawning in the same area. High numbers of saugeye could reduce populations of other gamefish (centrarchids) from which they readily consume (Fiss et al. 1997).
https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.aspx?SpeciesID=829

That's an interesting read Bill. We don't stock Saugeye where WAE exist and recruit in good numbers, Only impoundments where WAE don't seem to make it, and most of those impoundments are much more turbid in nature, usually with reduced visibility of course. We have yet to see any natural recruitment of Saugeye in any impoundment in Reg 1 in KS. But again, I'll never say it can't happen.
As for predation on other Centrarchids, stocking rates are conservative for Crappie control and in most cases 10/ac seem to do the job on an annual basis, some have shown best results every other year. One must remember in this case, the saugeye are being used as a tool but do provide additional fishing opportunity.
Posted By: adr Re: What to feed Crappie - 01/12/19 04:25 PM
had a idea for a floating crappie, perch, walleye and other fish feeder. I am designing a floating barrel system in which you put road kill, dead fish and so on. Punch holes for flies to enter and lay eggs. Also put holes under the barrel for the maggots to come out. They have to get to the dirt to turn into flies. When they hit the water it is feeding time. We are considering using this as an add on to commercial feed. Works for chickens and other poultry as well with a 5 gallon bucket on a tri pod. Also can use a barrel with pine peels and bury the carcasses' in the wood chips and maggots come to top less smell. These systems are being done every day in many places. Anyone with designs like these email me pics.
Thank you.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: What to feed Crappie - 01/12/19 05:59 PM
Or just hang a carcass. The flies will find it. The important thing might be to position it downwind from where you usually hang out.
© Pond Boss Forum